Panasonic EMR75/85 - pause live tv or chasing play?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ENEM, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ENEM

ENEM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can these latest freeview Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders allow watching of a TV programme live (or almost live) and then pause the program, while it is still recording? Not sure if this is simply 'chasing play' or whether these devices do it at all.

Has anyone actually done it? How do you do it?

Thanks for your help.

ENEM

PS Do you need to be connected to a Panasonic TV to get full feature set or is that simply to do with single remote control operation.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    When the machine is in timer mode , and recording, the unit can stiill be switched on and used as a player of disks or Hard Disk recorded programs.

The programme currently being recorded will also be available in the list of recordings. You simply select it and can play it from the beginning or indeed anywhere up to a few seconds before the current state of the recording.

You can high speed search , pause etc. It behaves just like any other previously recorded programme.

Does that answer your question fully enough?

Regarding your PS- No it is not necessary to be connected to a Panasonic TV. Which features were you thinking of that might not be present?

3. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It doesn’t have to be in timer mode.

Just hit record and go off and do something.

Come back and hit play. It plays from the beginning of the recording, whilst still recording. You can fast forward (through ads etc) up to a point a few seconds behind the recording point.

Picture-in-picture lets you see what’s being recorded (eg has the programme finished?) during playback.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018

Thanks for that additional information RAB67.

I don't have one of these machines so I wasn't certain it would be capable of doing it in this mode.
    I'm pleased to hear it confirmed that it can.

5. ENEM

ENEM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the answers which are complete. The other functions I am talking about are related to the Panasonic HDAVI and Q-Link technologies.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    In regard to Qlink functions, the manual from the 75/ 85 Panasonics have the following note:

The following systems from other manufacturers
    have similar function to Q Link from Panasonic.
    - Easy Link (Trademark of Philips)
    - SMARTLINK (Trademark of Sony)
    - DATA LOGIC (Trademark of Metz)
    - Megalogic (Trademark of Grundig)
    For details, refer to your television's operating
    instructions or consult your dealer.​

I have reason to believe that Toshiba's link system is not compatible.

I assume by HDAVI you are in fact meaning HDMI with which these machines are equipped.
    This is supposed to be a universal standard, albeit it is still young and there are three versions of it, [ the latest is specified as being backwards compatible ], and thus should connect with any other HDMI equipped display device.

EDIT - Further to HDAVI - I have evidently misunderstood you. I cannot be totally sure about this but as this is a new control standard that Panasonic are developing in collaboration with Comcast, I would think that only - at this stage - would apply to Panasonic equipment .. and even then may not have been implemented yet across the product range. The only thing to do would be check with a supplier.