1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic EH60D - how hot should it get?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HelenS, Sep 5, 2005.

1. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose that maybe owners of the EH50 and ES20D might be able to shed some light on this question for me too.

This is a UK specification DMR-EH60D that I am talking about, by the way.

I have noticed that when in standby, or with the hard drive in "HDD Sleep" mode, the machine gets rather hot. It's particularly noticeable around the rear right corner of the top (above the RF in/out connectors) and towards the centre front of the. It's quite a bit cooler over the DVD drive area. Heat's hard to gauge subjectively - all I can say is that it's hot to the touch, even to a warm/hot hand - not enough to burn you but at the "blimey, that's really quite hot!" level - I suppose similar to the heat on top of a typical CRT display that's been running a long time, or an LCD monitor's screen that has been running quite a while. It cools down rapidly when the machine is on and recording or playing, because then the fan runs and within minutes it's comfortably cool all over. But the fan NEVER runs in standby or with the HDD in sleep. Is this normal? Panasonic's helpline was a bit vague (well, it is a new model I suppose), saying be cautious and keep an eye on it.

The recorder's in a sufficiently-ventilated position - nothing blocking the air intakes and exits, anyway.

Any opinions would be much valued, thanks.

2. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have the EH60D but the EH60GN (Oceania) version.
    I do have the same warmer regions that you mention but only just over luke warm.
    I don't have mine set to go to standby, so it's always on, HDD does go to sleep though.(as it was when I checked)

Mine is in an enclosed wall unit with dual fans in the top of the unit to keep the Amp (Plinius 8150) cool which does get very hot.
    The DVDR is 2 shelves down below this with a 50mm gap between it and the next shelf up (CD Player)

I hope this helps, I've set the unit to goto 'standby' and will check again in the morning.

3. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if your version runs quite a lot cooler than mine because the UK model has an additional, digital tuner inside it as well as the analogue one and I have noticed that my stand-alone digital tuner in another room (I'm referring to the UK's Freeview system) gets quite warm in standby - and that is nothing BUT a Freeview tuner. It's possible that my EH60D is within spec for its temperature (it hasn't brought up its overheating error code .... yet!) but I'd like to feel surer about this. Because the unit is so new on the market there won't be many others out there yet (and maybe being new is a bad thing with regard to ironing out the bugs!) which is why I've asked EH50 owners too (similar machine - but no Freeview and a different hard drive - so it could be cooler than mine anyway), and the ES10D, which is Freeview but doesn't have a hard drive....!

4. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without digital tuner the machine just gets warm when on but with the HDD in sleep mode.
    In standby mode the machine just gets cold as it only consumes 3w.

What do the specs say for your machine ?
    Mine are 35w on, 3w Standby.
    Does your manual differ ?

Good luck, the digital tuner may become a curse if it is to blame.