Panasonic EH60D - Deinterlacing and Upconverting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shortround, Oct 25, 2005.

1. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just been messing around with the inputs and outputs of my EH60 and have noticed a few interesting things. Firstly, that the component output will loopthrough any incoming signal from any of the inputs. I presume this means that the unit is actually upconverting the incoming signals to component as I tried it with both RGB and composite video (didn't try S-video yet but assume that will work too) and they both pass through on component. This comes as a nice surprise as I didn't expect this unit to be capable of this (I assumed it would only loopthrough via scart). Although unfortunately, the component loopthrough is only active when the unit is switched on (when switched off you can only use the scart loopthrough).

The quality of the upconverting seems to be none too shabby either. Using a composite video source (VHS), the upconverted component picture actually gave better picture quality than when sending the composite signal direct to the TV and letting the TV do the colour decoding! And my TV is no slouch, it's a Toshiba Picture Frame 2.

The other nice surprise was that, incredibly, the EH60 also deinterlaces the incoming sources as well! When I switched the component output to progressive in the setup menu, I noticed that my TV relocked the signal (as it does when it receives a progressive signal). Now I REALLY didn't expect that! It's one thing to deinterlace a DVD, but to deinterlace and external source as well is just superb!

I am interested to know what type of deinterlacing tech the EH60 is using? Is it just doing a simple 'bob' deinterlace for the incoming sources, or maybe something more advanced. Does anyone have any info on this?

One thing's for sure, I'm certainly very happy with this unit. big thumbs up to Panasonic for the QA on this one.

Hope my ramblings are of some use to someone!

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My Toshiba RDXS34 does the same thing. The picture is really excellent, although i have to say that the DVD recorder produces a better picture when set to interlaced. Presumably the TV (LCD) makes a better job of displaying the end result as a progressive image.

3. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't realise the EH60 upconverts - is this correct?? :confused:
    Have noticed the picture seems more stable when viewed through the component connection, a product of progressive scan as you say, can anyone else confirm the upconverting thing???

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Component is not a scaled up output - just de-interlaced.

5. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm talking about upconverting, not upscaling. The two tend to get mixed up. Upconverting is when you convert one video format to another eg. composite video to component video. Whereas upscaling is when you increase the resolution of the source eg. 480i to 1080i. The EH60 does upconverting, but not upscaling.

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Whoops, my misunderstanding. Sorry for about that.

7. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and mine, everyday's a school day...

At the end of the day, it looks better through component, that's all I need to know!

:thumbsup: