Panasonic EH60D and washed-out colours

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by baggers, Nov 2, 2005.

1. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Panasonic EH60D with Multi-region playback for £405

Very pleased with this new toy however i have noticed an occasional problem:
    When recording to EH60D HDD from a Humax 8000 PVR set with RGB output into EH60D AV1, the colours sometimes become washed-out, exhibiting a pink and green tinge.

This disappears if i turn off the RGB output on the Humax 8000 and switch it back on again but the problem returns again later.

Has anyone come across this problem, maybe with similar equipment connected to the EH60D inputs..?

regards,
    Baggers.

2. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    I have DMRES10 connected to Panasonic SKY box with RGB and I also got weird pixels color black and white. I turned off the recorder and turned it back on and it’s disappeared.

I getting mine replaced cos I have this weird video noise through RGB, check it and if you do have that then replace the unit, but before you do anything speak to Panny costumer care on 08705 357 357.

3. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I noticed some discolouration on my Panasonic EH60D. It is noticable on flesh tones where the shadows appear as a blue colour. I need a new aeriel fitted, so i was waiting until then to see if it made a difference. It only seemed to show up after i did the time update problem shutdown.

4. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Willsy2 - this does not appear to be the same problem, however when i used the unit this evening i am getting exactly the problem you are describing.

At the moment it varies in intensity but is definitely not right.

Hope this corrects itself otherwise it will mean trying to get the retailer :( to exchange or refund......

5. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you guys sure it's not just the TV ? I have the same problem everytime I use RGB in AV1. Reason is some TV's don't allow you to adjust color saturation when receiving an RGB signal so you have to open the TV and calibrate the tube directly (BEWARE: voltage on tv's can be mortal, better take to a technitian and let hime do it).
    If not then it could be the RGB input from the EH60 and the other device's that don't match. If I recall correctly there was never a defacto standard for consumer scart RGB so some devices just don't match well with each other. Problem would be solved if one of the devices allowed you to calibrate it (as some TV's...).
    I'd try out the machine with other RGB device before sending it back just to be sure...

6. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Baggers
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    I've been copying my old home videos with the VCR connected to AV2, and considering they'd been copied from analouge camcorder tapes to 3 hour video tapes the quality was remarkably good, no washed out colours.
    Why are you connecting the PVR to AV1, and if your using AV1 as an input how are you getting the output to the TV? What's it like on AV2?

7. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I switched off RGB and changed to composite and the flesh tones where the shadows appear as a blue colour was still present.

I will have to check how it's all connected; there's a VCR in the chain also.

Odd that it was ok before and started happening from around 6pm yesterday evening; (the previous recording was ok).

Will let you know......

8. Burntboots

Burntboots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a slightly related subject, has anyone noticed that the picture quality deteriorates when you are watching a channel that is being TIMER recorded? Not quite sure why this happens.

9. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I recorded the second half of Attack of the Clones last night, had a quick spadge at it this morning and it looks OK.
    I'll check it out properly tonight.

10. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked last night and the flesh tones where the shadows appear as a blue colour was no longer present; hopefully it won't return........

11. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Same here, Attack of the Clones recording was back to normal.

12. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flesh tones where the shadows appear as a blue colour came back again this evening; lasted a couple of hours and then went away again....odd....

13. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've had the EH60D for 3 months now and have just noticed the same problem on one or two recordings.

The programmes appear to have had the blue tint recorded into the data and it remains even after power is removed. However I have only seen it on two recorded programmes, of which one was last week. I've since recorded around 12 programmes and it has not reoccured.

Incidently the programmes where I have seen this problem have been Film 2005 and a documentary on Egypt which had lots of dark scenes.

It quite strange. I'm wondering if the problem is related to radio interference such as when you switch off a lamp and the Freeview locks up for a second or knocks the lip synch out. It could be affecting the MPEG encoding as well. However it does seem to disappear after the player is placed into standby and only affects sporadic programmes, perhaps 1 in 100. :confused:

Something to keep an eye on.

14. timmy2

timmy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I searched for this type of thread as I have noticed tonight that when my GB3digibox is playing throught the Panansonic eh50 (not 60) that the colours are all washed out as if the brightness is too high. Shadows are a bit bluey also. I have checked previous recordings of the same programme (that are still on the HDD) and they play fine, nice and colourful. This washed out look is only present when recording and also if just viewing the channel with the recorder switched on. If I choose achannel with no output (so the screen is black), it appears dark grey. If I switch the recorder off (so the signal is looping through) the problem is not present. Does this point anyone in the right direction at all.