1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic EH50 strange behaviour??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mjirvine, Apr 23, 2005.

1. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently bought one of the new EH50's which is working well and very easy to use. however I am having a strange issue with it......

It seems to have a mind of its own. I frequently come down stairs in the morning (after making sure the eh50 is off the night before) to find it on and having recorded 2 hours of morning television! and once something which I would have had difficulty explaining having recorded overnight if my fiance had found it if you know what I mean!

when it does this the ext link light seems to be lit and I can only stop it recording by pressing the extlink button again.

can anyone explain this bizarre behaviour to me and more importantly, how to stop it as it is driving me loopy!.

connections are RGB scart from sky+ to EH50 and component and optical from EH50 to Denon 2815. and also sky+ svid to Denon 2815 (if that makes any difference.

so is sky somehow sending a start recording signal randomly to the eh50? i have looked through all the options I can find on sky and the eh50 and can't find anything to sort it????

hopefully I am missing something silly.

thanks in advance

MJI

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I know sometimes skyboxes have their firmware updated over night and they make phone calls to sky hq. Maybe this is triggering it somehow when the box gets reset after a firmware upgrade?

3. rjmsx

rjmsx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the problem that the EXT-LINK light was lit. However it never recorded anything (probably because I have nothing connected to the external link).

I live in the Netherlands and the EH50 is just out so Panasonic in the Netherlands had no idea what the problem was and advised me to return the recorder for repair. :(

After some investigation I found out that there were more people having the same problem. In Germany the same recorder is out there for over a month already (it is called DMR-EH52). On the German Panasonic site there is a firmware upgrade which will fix this problem. After I installed the upgrade everything works just fine. No more EXT-Link problems. :)

So my advise is the download the firmware, burn it on CD and install it in the recorder. Just go to the german Panasonic site, select "services". Then "Software & Treiber", then search for "DMR" and the EH52 will come up.

4. JOHNSTEPHEN

JOHNSTEPHEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For what it is worth my eh50 has been driving me nuts as well !
    I have been archiving my vhs tapes over the weekend and several times
    during recording the ext link has activated and switched my machine off !

I have wasted hours having to re dub programmes.

5. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any more input on this? I don't fancy installing foreign firmware but pany uk don't have anything on their site and have not responded to my emails.

cheers

MJI

6. rjmsx

rjmsx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The firmware on the German Panasonic site is for the European version of the EH50 recorder. Installing the firmware doesn't mean that all the menus are in German afterwards :D

7. norfred

norfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    that doesnt sound too promising mine is doing the same thing. I have sent an email to panasonic so will just have to wait and see. I don't fancy downloading from a german site in case there are incompatible issues with the different pal systems.
    norfred

8. JOHNSTEPHEN

JOHNSTEPHEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I considered attempting the firmware upgrade but decided against it incase it went wrong.
    I would imagine that you would run the risk of invalidating your warranty if you mess with the machine.

I took my eh50 back to the shop and they swapped it with no problems for another one which is fine.(A wonderful machine actually)

The guy in the shop (PREMIER AV - Soho Rd,Bham- good place to buy) was aware of the problems with ext link etc - however,Panasonic UK were not!

My advice would be to take it back and get it replaced.

John

9. JOHNSTEPHEN

JOHNSTEPHEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here are the posts

10. norfred

norfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree with that advice. Panasonic denied an issue with this m/c but after contacting my supplier they say that technical are aware of this problem. They requested my serial number so I imagine that a batch has a problem and the rest are OK
    norfred

11. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine has not had the exact problem specified above.

However, yesterday I was watching something on Sky. My Panny EH50 was in Standby with Ext Link on. Then the EH50 suddenly turned itself on and after about 1-2 minutes turned itself off again.

Also, a coulpe of times I've left it in Standby with Ext Link on and found that it has turned itself on (I did doubt myself the first time it happened).

I checked the manual and wonder if I have set up AV2 correctly. AV2 is the connection you need to use with Sky to get the Ext Link to work. You lose RGB, but that doesn't bother me. Anyway, the AV2 settings available are:

1. RGB/Video
    2. RGB
    3. Video
    4. S Video

It is set by default to RGB/Video. Is this correct :confused: I have changed it to Video and so far it has not acted strangely.

I would like to think that I could go on holiday with Ext Link set and the EH50 would record everything set in the Sky Planner. So far, I do not feel confident that this would work :(