1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ED vs HD for DVD + HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geeseman, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Been looking for a plasma for a little over a month now and have decided on the 42inch Panasonic units because of their image quality and functions. The thing is I don't know if I should get the ED version or the HD version.
    Here in Australia the HD version is around $3,000 AU more expensive than the Ed version so I need to be sure about spending the extra $ if I am to get the HD version.
    I was looking yesterday and noticed that the ED version seemed to have some artefacts when viewing a 576I PAL image. The DVD was My Big fat Greek Wedding and the image had a clear shot of the female star's face that looked a bit messed up and lacking in detail when compared to the HD image, which looked perfect.
    My understanding is that the ED unit scales 576 lines to 480lines, so this is the cause for the slightly garbled image.

Has anyone had any experiences with this sort of thing before on PAL material? Obviously NTSC material is pixel perfect for the 480P units, but PAL is 576lines and I'm assuming that there has to be some scaling which can result in image degredation. The thing is how much degradating is there?

What are the opinions of the ED and HD owners of Pana 42's here? Was this just a freak occurance or is it visible in all DVD PAL material? (Btw, I was using S-video or YC input for the comparison).
    Thanks in advance

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have a panny 4 series and it's fine. If you was in a shop then you're unlikely to be in the best environment to judge, unfortuantley. Moreover, using s-video is not going to sport either of the screens progressive abilities. At best you should try a progressive capable dvd player via component connections to each screen using the same model dvd player. And ensure that both screens have the smae picture settings. That's about as close as you'll get to a decent comparison in a shop as neither screen will, most likely, be configured by an expert (ala Gordon on these forums) and you are subject to their cables and dvd player/dvds etc. I'd try and get the shop to use a dvd player known for it's progressive ability and take some dvds of your choosing which push pq rendering limits - i.e. Star Trek Resurection for anti aliasing, Gladiator etc. for quality.
    Both screens will do HD but obviously the HD pana goes higher and has the increased res. As you'll have no doubt read on here that some favour the 4 series set as it appears to give less flicker to some. So it depends on what HD broadcast you can get in Aus and which set YOU prefer directly in front of you and not just spec' wise. Remember if it's just dvds you're thinking about both sets do 480p, so that via a component input would be the test you're after in the main.
    Happy demoeing:)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Encaser

Please bear in mind that the Panasonic 42" HD unit retains the 'Dual Scan' technology as per the 42" Series 4 SD unit - so no picture flicker problems as per some reports with the 'Single Scan' 42" Series 5 SD units.

Best regards

Joe

4. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, im guessing that the dual scan panels are more expensive and better for viewing than single scan?
    Has anyone else done a direct comparison between the HD and ED units for PAL footage or HD footage? If so what's your opinion?
    thanks

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Taking onboard Joe's input (a trusted dealer) and 4/5 series owners it'd appear that either the series 4 standard model or the series 5 HD maybe best at least for no flicker. The 4 was discontinued not long ago and so are getting thin on the ground, though cheaper than the 5 standard model - or ED as you're calling it.
    I doubt you'll get anyone on here offering viewing experience on HD on a pana HD here as we don't have it in the UK:( If you are planning on getting HD tv piped to it then the best group to ask would probably be on the US av forums @ avsforums.com who are lucky enough to have HDTV. For PAL alone then it'll be dvds as the best comparison.