1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E95H Direct Navigator

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danoli, Apr 19, 2005.

1. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got one of these and have a few niggles setting it up.
    I have my TV connected to AV1 on the TV to AV1 on the E95H and my Sky box connected to AV2 on the E95H. I also have my aerial connected through the UHF in/out sockets.

When I have my TV on, selected on channel AV1 I see the Sky channels which I assume is correct. If I change the Input Select on the E95H to say 1 (UHF Channel 1, BBC1) I still see Sky on the E95H, if I record, ten it does in fact record BBC1. If while recording I press the Direct Navigator button, the E95H jumps to the Navigator menu as expected. If however, I change the Input Selector to AV2 (Sky box) I see the Sky channels on the TV and it does record the Sky Channel BUT, if I press the Navigator button, the Navigator menu does NOT display. The E95H menu shows NAVI so it is loaded but does not show on screen. If I now change the TV to a spare channel (I chose 14) then tune it to get the E95H, I can see the Navigator Menu.

Hope this makes sense, does anyone know what is wrong? I was thinking maybe the preset channel that the Sky or the E95H is tuned too. Probably wrong hence why I am asking here.

Thanks

2. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Always confusing when you start talking about AV1 and 2 etc but I think you have the wrong sockets connected.

This is how I think you should have your SCART leads configured:
    TV AV2 to DVD AV1
    DVD AV2 to Sat VCR Scart socket
    TV AV1 to Sat TV Scart socket​

You then need to experience the delights of the 'setup' menu in the DVD, but check the set up as above first.

3. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not quite sure how this would differ to my setup.
    I have:

TV AV1 to DVD AV1
    DVD AV2 to Sat VCR Scart socket
    TV AV2 to Sat TV Scart socket

This looks generally the same as what you say. Would this change make much difference to the issues I am having?

4. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, the functionality of the AV2 socket is specific as not all pins are active on the AV1.

Your set up is in reverse from your TV, so signals from the DVD may not be getting to your TV that triggers the navigator view via the scart connector etc.

Try changing the Scart leads so that it matches the set up I mentioned originally and let us know what happens.

5. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike@#36

Thank for that, and I thought all the AV sockets were just the same... you learn something new every day. I will try this later today and report back this evening.

Edit to say:
    So, the AV1 on the TV is best suited to one way input to the TV where as the AV2 on the TV is more a two way connector? What would my AV3 socket be like?

6. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The AV sockets are all two way, however AV2 usually carries other signals that control numerous different instructions depending on what is connected i.e. q-link on Panasonics which links tuner settings between the TV and DVD or VCR. Also things like Direct TV record are sent via one particular AV socket etc..etc..etc.....AV3 will be similar to AV1 and is usually there in order to plug an additional product (like an old VCR) into the TV.

My TV does not have AV3 so I have plugged my old VCR into the AV4 input of my E95.

7. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds really promising now as the Direct TV record also isnt working on my E95H so this may fix a few issues all at once. Can't wait to get home....

8. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made the changes and it fixed the initial problem, Thanks Mike@#36.

The problem now isthe Direct Record does not work. I checked the scart leads and they are all 21 pin wired. My TV is the Toshiba 36ZP18P which is fairly modern but I cannot find if it supports the Direct Record function which also does not work. The E95H says the TV either does not support Direct Record or is switched off.

Any other ideas, I am pulling my hair out here :confused:

9. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Glad you have sorted the original problem.

Sorry but it sounds as if the Toshiba does not support Direct TV recording if that message came up, which is suprising with a TV that came out C2001. There were concerns about the auto tuning on that model though.

I do know that some Tuner Link systems are not supported by Panasonic (thier's is Q-Link) although I thought that was limited to some old Sony systems.

If anyone else has a Toshiba they may be able to help - there may be a user setup that needs selecting.

All the best

10. danoli

danoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike@#36, I will start a new thread for the Direct Record problem. Thanks.

11. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good Luck, make sure you place the new thread in the TV Forum though, you're likely to get more response.