1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bewildered, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Interested in the Panasonic E95 but would like the ability to view JPEG images (taken on a digital camera). I know the E95 has a SD/PC card slot which would allow viewing of images on a CompactFlash card however we tend to download from CF card to PC. If we were to also download selected images from the CF card using the SD/PC card slot on the E95 to the HDD, could you then burn to a DVD-RAM and use that to display favourite images on the TV as a slideshow.

Reason for question is:

Looked at Pioneer 720H and Panasonic E85 (hadn't got E95 in stock and picture quality said to be same). Main problem with Pioneer seems to be no Progressive scan and no Component output - looking to upgrade to Plasma TV screen (possibly Pioneer 505XDE or 43XDE) and am told that progressive scan would provide better quality picture (even though the Pioneer Plasma has its own de-interlacing prog. scan functionality). Also, is it true that best connection to Plasma screen is Component output?

I would like to wait for the Pioneer 920H which seems to have everything but I'm sure I won't like the price tag which goes with it!

So.........the Panasonic E95 - liked the picture quality (seemed a bit crisper than the Pioneer 720H), great editing functionality including facility to 'divide' recordings, has progressive scan and component output, etc... only question mark is display of JPEG images on DVD-RAM?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Panasonic E95 is a good recorder - use one myself - it's just been reviewed in the new issue of Home Cinema Choice (January 2005) if you want further reassurance.

Yes - the E95 will run slideshows of JPEGs from DVD-RAM. Only DVD-RAM though - won't run from CD-R/W or DVD-R. Unless your using a SD Card you'll need a converter for the PC Card slot (same as you would use in a laptop). My camera uses a Compact Flash card and a PC adaptor to fit this into the E95 cost around £5 from memory.

It's the best analogue output yes. Obviously whether or not you use the progressive features depends on which does it better: your player or screen. That would be a question of try it and see when you have both hooked up together.

Obviously all digital connections can potentially be the best connection method to a Plasma/LCD/Projector. Currently there are none available on DVD recorders though and the first (Pioneer 920) is going to be around £1200.

3. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Thanks for your reply. Great news, I'm now feeling much happier and quite confident that the Panny E95 is going to be the right purchase. The hours spent trawling through the forum researching opinions about different DVD recorders has really paid dividends - you just don't get all the required knowledge regarding reliability, user friendliness, etc. from the magazine reviews. I would never have picked up on the restrictions regarding the Sony 900's HDD editting issues were it not for this forum.

It is also very reassuring to learn that you have the E95 yourself and are pleased with the performance.

I will now be directing my efforts at sourcing one at a good price! Is yours modified for multi-region by the way and are most suppliers able to perform this modification?

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated! (I may be back when it comes to connecting it all up!)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Most online stores can mod it for you: in the case of Panasonic DVD recorders it's just a case of setting to multi-region with a handset.

Not sure how competitive they are but I have found RGB Direct and Multi Region Magic to be good online shops. You'll probably get more recommendations if you post another thread (or wait to see if anyone else responds here).

5. bewildered

bewildered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, I'll try those - thanks again. :)

6. Jo 76

Jo 76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I would be very interested to know if the E95 can read movie clips (with sound) from the PC card slot.
    My old PC is not up to burning movie clips from a digital camera onto a vcd, so this would be a very usefull feature. Thanks