panasonic e95 -r can it use 8 speed dvds ?

the.jackall

Standard Member
Reaction score
The manual says 4 speed only,however later on in the dubbing page it suggests if you use a quicker speed (8) disc etc,you can dub even faster !!!
Has anybody used 8 speed on this machine and are the recording results the same ?

Yes, the E95 can definitely use 8x discs, but, AFAIK, it is a 4x recorder, so they won't be any faster than 4x discs.

HTH

It should be able to use 80x discs

The disc speed is the 'maximum' attribute of the disc

Just like 150 m.p.h tyres - of course you can still drive slower with these tyres on - just means if you fit them on a ferrari & drive at 200, you can expect a problem

JethroUK said:
Just like 150 m.p.h tyres - of course you can still drive slower with these tyres on - just means if you fit them on a ferrari & drive at 200, you can expect a problem
A poor analogy. Some recorders cannot use 4x or even 8x speed discs at 1x, due to dye formulations. You should know this from successive Philips firmware upgrades.

If you'd mentioned bicycle tyres, I would tend towards agreement.

No it's a perfect analogy - That's exactly what the '8x' refers to (maximum guaranteed write speed of the disc) - just as 150 m.p.h are 'designed' to perform at such at speed - i.e, they didn't just pull a number out of the air

Of course it doesn't account for 'general' compatabilty issues - but that seems to be inexhaustable

I haven't had any compatabilty issues with any of my recorders, i just buy the cheapest discs avail - whatever

No it's a perfect analogy
No, it's a poor analogy as musukebba points out. Many burners and DVD recorders will not read/write onto discs that are not designed with that burning speed in mind: 1-8x speed discs, for example, do not work on many older drives 1x, 2x and 4x drives.

I haven't had any compatabilty issues with any of my recorders
:rotfl: What? All two of them!

To answer the original posters question though the E95 will read/write to most 8x DVD-Rs but write speed will be limited to 4x. Talk of faster speeds in the manual is probably referring to dubbing speeds, i.e. an EP programme can be dubbed 24x speed etc etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom