Panasonic E95 & PC Card Connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ChrisJBrady, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic E95 – PC Card Connections

Please can someone advise me? I need to transfer photo files from my Fuji XD chip to the hard-drive of my E95 and then to my PC for uploading to the Web.

So far I can download photo files from my Fuji Finepix digital camera’s XD chip, onto the hard-drive of the E95 via a PC Card Type 2 with XD card adaptor. That works fine.

But I now need to transfer them to my PC for uploading to the Web. The E95 can only dub from the hard-drive in DVD-R and DVD-RAM formats. Actually it will ONLY write JPEG files to DVD-RAM disks.

The problem is that my CD drive on my PC will not read DVD-RAM disks. This seems to be an obsolete format that perhaps explains why all the shops are off-loading blank DVD-RAM disks!!

Anyway there appears to be two solutions:

1/ connect an external DVD-RAM reader/writer to the USP 2 port of my PC – BUT I can’t find any for sale (only internal drives seem to handle DVD-RAM disks) and PC World certainly hadn’t got any external drives at all.

Or

2/ use a PC Card Type 2 with a USB 2 port (rather than a XD chip) and then use a RAM-Drive plugged into that. The files can then be dubbed to the RAM-Drive which can then be used to transfer them to the PC.

I have actually purchased a USB 2.0 Notebook PC Card made by Belkin. But whilst this plugs into the PC Card slot on the E95 the E95 will not recognise it. The Card has its own power supply but even when this is connected and a RAM Drive inserted into the USB port nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? How can I transfer my JPEG files to my PC via the E95?

Many thanks – CJB

2. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Why not just use a card reader for your pc to transfer from the card to the pc and burn the jpegs with nero or similar?

Sounds like a very convoluted way to do a simple task :)

3. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your very prompt reply. From other threads I understand that the very limited number of formats that the E95 can write in - actually only two DVD-R and DVD-RAM - is causing lots of problems for users. There is a need to be able to transfer files from the E95's Hard-drive to a PC via the RAM format but this does not appear to be well supported. So forgetting the RAM route, perhaps I need an XD chip to USB 2 port adaptor, so that the XD chip can be read directly into the PC. Is that what you are suggesting? Thanks again - Chris Brady.

4. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    all you need is a usb card reader which handles xd cards. (it will show as a removable drive in my computer) and you will be able to read the images off it directly

remember you would be able to move images from your camera's card to the pc if you connect it with the usb cable that came with the camera removing the need for a card reader. The camera will show as a seperate drive

5. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yep, a cheap USB card reader should do the job. Just make sure it can read xD cards though.

Alternatively you can buy an LG DVD-burner very cheaply that will read (and write!) RAM discs - the 4163B. I've seen them as cheap as 35 quid. A bit of googling should give you several sellers if you want to go down that route. However the card reader for the PC will be a lot quicker and less fiddly.

6. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - its seems the easy solution is an XD card reader that will connect to the USB port!! Hopefully I'll not need to install drivers for this though. Unfortunately the camera itself came with a CD with software to install before being able to connect the camera to the PC. This I can't do since I want to be able to 'play' the images on friends' computers and they might not want to to install this s/w themselves. That's why I need a device that doesn't require drivers. I'll report back!!

Meanwhile it is frustrating that a top of the range DVD Recorder (that actually produces superb results) is so limited in the formats that it can write in - I mean DVD-R and DVD-RAM is not very flexible at all.

A PC Card that writes/reads Flash Drives would be great - but the E95 is not setup with the correct drivers to access these. I bought a Belkin PC Card with 2 USB 2 ports, but this simply does not work with the E95.

I wonder if there is a SD / USB 2 adaptor anywhere. The E95 has slots for SD cards and PC Cards. But then I doubt whether that will work either.

The more I try and use the E95 the more disappointed I am with it.

Cheers - Chris Brady

7. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Using any sort of pc card/usb device with the E95 will not work period, the easiest option if to just get a ubs card reader, and that will work fine and not need any drivers so you can take it to a mates pc easily.

The E95 is a good machine, but remember its only a dvd recorder, try getting it to do something that a pc is better at and it will be fustrating, I cant imagine ever needing to record jpegs onto dvd via the E95, thats what the pc's for :)

8. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Chris, I think you're expecting a bit much of the E95! It's brilliant at what it's designed for - recording video to DVD and hard disc. The question of format support is down to licensing, I believe - adding +R/RW and -RW support would have pushed the price up due to a) licensing costs and b) R&D in getting it working. As new generations of DVD recorders come out their range of supported formats is expanding, as with the newer Panasonics. At least Panasonic didn't pretend that it supported anything other than -R and RAM, so we all got what we paid for in that respect, unless you bought it under the impression that it supported all formats.

As for supporting the various types of PC cards, that really is asking too much. You should think of the PC card adapter as a bonus item that lets you connect any type of digital camera memory card by just buying a cheap adapter - for instance, I bought a PC card with a Compact Flash card adapter from Jessops for 10 quid. The alternative would have been for Panasonic to add slots for all of the commonly-available memory card types, which would have bumped up the cost. Adding support for (PC card) USB adapters would be a distinctly non-trivial task; they'd have to write huge amounts of code for USB connectivity plus drivers for loads of different USB devices - Windows handles this transparently because it has loads of drivers built-in, making USB support seem simpler than it is. For Panasonic to add this would be a huge development cost for something that only a fraction of buyers would use. Same goes for all the other types of PC cards that are available for laptops.

The E95 is a brilliant machine with some bonus features tacked on.