Panasonic E95 or EH50 or Tosh XS34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ABP, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can get the E95 for £326 or the new EH50 for £348 or the Tosh XS34 for £288.
    All the rest of my gear is Panasonic and i would prefer it to continue but i keep an open mind.
    I would like to use the Recorder for Sky+ backup, editing of camcorder footage and backup of old VHS.
    I think the EH50 is the one to go for but the E95 at £326 seems a bargain.

Is there much real world differance in the LP recordings on the two Panasonics?

Tosh just confuses the situation but seems a Massive Bargain... what is the catch???

Many Thanks

ABP

2. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll also really be interested in the reply. I,m considering these machines( Tosh XS34 or Panny EH50), and for almost exactly the same reasons!!( Sky+, camcorder/ VHS backup)

Does Panny EH50 have iLink?

3. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I link on the EH50 which is why i am considering the E95... especialy for the price.

4. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    APB

where did you see these prices.

Are they multiregion??

Are you leaning towards Panny or Tosh?

5. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I too have been considering these models. My four main uses in order of priority will be:

(1) Converting RGB output of Sky+ to component. (There are some fundamental problems with the RGB input on my Panny PD30 TV which do not exist on the component inputs. At present I watch Sky+ via S-Video!) Given the 12 bit A/D converter and later generation encoding engine of the EH50 can I assume that it will give the best PQ of the three models for this?

(2) Archiving from Sky+ to HDD and then editing onto DVD-R or DVD-RAM/DVD-RW. DVD-RW of the EH50/Tosh 34 give them a slight edge on this for me but in practice I may end up using DVD-R most. Does the EH50 have better editing options than the Panny 95? (Given what was available on the Tosh 32 I assume that the Tosh 34 has the best editing options of the thress) The larger HDD of the E95 and Tosh 34 are not that significant to me.

(3) Copying footage from my camcorder. For me this is the main drawback of the EH50 in that it has no DV-in! How significant is the loss in quality of recording from s-video? If the EH50 has better editing options than the E95 that would help swing me toward the EH50. (From past experience I only ever use very basic start-stop editing

(4) Watching pre-recorded DVDs. Again I assume that the EH50 will probably have the best PQ out of these 3 models. My existing DVD player is very slow the fast response times of the EH50 sound useful to me. Anyone know fow fast the Tosh 32/34 is/are?

(5) Playing MP3s and JPEGs. Are there any differences in the three models for this?

The other option is to wait for the Panny EH60 in September but as I cannot get Freeview the main advantage of that model will be its larger HDD (160Gb) and DV-in (I assume) Anyone know of any other advantages of this model that will make it worth waiting for? e.g. dual layer +R recording.

9. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price seems to be dropping daily ! :thumbsup:

Web Electricals also have this at under £325 delivered -

http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/cgi-bin/webelectricals.storefront/EN/Product/1038

I rang my local shop@Panasonic store today and they received delivery this morning and they have agreed to do this for the same price as the old E85 as part of TV Package (TX32DTX40) so I am over the moon (includes 12 months 0% finance) and am going there Thursday to collect. :D unless I see something even better in the next 24 hours...........

Am also thinking of the EH60 but as the TV has Digital built-in seems a bit excessive? Anyway, will be able to really get into the EH50 and make a decision from there.

11. bossnas

bossnas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering one of these units and have been waiting since xmas last year for the right spec machine. I'd really like to go for a Panny unit as I've good luck with their equipment in the past but the Tosh has double the HDD compared to the Panny and has DV IN too.

A no brainer? :)

What are the reasons you guys are choosing the Panny over the Tosh?

Cheers
    Nas

12. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Does anyone know when the EH60 is actually being released in the UK?
    I have seen various dates from May to September...

13. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bossnas, I think this is really a matter of personal preference - these machines tend to be so closely spec'd and matched in price that you can end up choosing on the slightest detail. For me: -

• Panasonic TV is on my shopping list so nice to have the "set"
    • From above can 'Qlink' the TV and DVD
    • Buying the two I am getting a mega-deal :D
    • I like the overall look of the new DMREH50 - The Tosh is nice but not as much!
    • Improved bitrates and formats accepted a big plus

You mention the Toshiba having double the hard drive - these are both 80GB from what I have read/seen. :thumbsup:

As I say, it is very subjective - Buy the Tosh and you should be very happy with it - buy the Panny and you will, likewise, be very happy but it will just be a different machine under your TV!

14. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can still get the E95 Multiregion here for £379
    http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/

I have this machine,the160 Hard Drive is very handy,however reading the specs on that new Panny machine if you can get 4 hours top quality in Long play I would go for that,going past 2 hours on -R discs results in a big picture qulity drop on the 95

15. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £326.99 +£10 p&p is the cheapest I've found. I believe Richer Sounds do a price match and give cash back depending on how much the product costs if they have been undercut. I think the E95 Mulit-region is going for about £400

17. bossnas

bossnas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya cheeekymonkey,

Thanks for your input. I'm still trying to decide but the 160GB HDD in the Tosh is probably gonna swing it for me in the end. It's mentioned in this thread by someone that recently got the XS34.
    HTML:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199982
    Cheers
    Nas

18. Phenbec

Phenbec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to Panny iCustomer etc in the UK today , bloke quoted that they have just released the EH60 , 160GB HDD with intergated Freeview. ie the EH50 but even better !, Just when I was about to buy a 50

19. ginasmith

ginasmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's any help, I called buyyourav.com today and they confirmed they are no longer able to source the E95 as they're out of stock and it's apparently been discontinued by the makers. They recommended the Pioneer DMR720H instead, though if you're in no great rush it's worth checking to see if they can source it from somewhere - I needed mine quite quickly as a pressie.

20. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm at a loss with Panny's customer services giving out duff info. I phoned them twice this week, as the first girl I spoke too didn't sound sure, but they both said that the EH60 with 160gb and digi tuner is due Sept 2005 and the bloke reckoned that the RRP would be £549-£599, though this is far from being finalized. Isn't the 160gb XS34 at under £300 a complete no brainer compared to this, the EH50 or Pio720 or am I missing something? Very frustrating. :rolleyes:
    I'm gonna call them back.

21. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sinclair

I was in my local Panasonic dealer on Thursday "doing my deal" and he showed me the trade brochure he had received at the trade event he had attended the day before.

in this it clearly stated that the EH60 will not be available until September 2005.

Also, it confirmed the specs as the same as the EH50 with the addition of Freeview and the upgraded HDD to 160GB

He didn't know the price as it was still TBC but thought it would be the "right side" of £500.

I bought the EH50 with a view to upgrading to the EH60 later when the prices have settled down.

Gets delivered Saturday with my new TV so will let you know how it is once I've had chance to use it.

22. submitsite

submitsite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok im getting very fed up and jealous at all these prices falling almost daily,i'd love the new panasonic EH50 or older E95 Model but guess what, all the companies mentioned in this thread "only deliver to mainland uk",so us poor northern ireland uk residents get a raw deal again,any one know a company with good prices that does deliver to n.ireland and doesnt cost £35-£50 delivery fee? im tempted by the Lite-on 5045 from amazon (free delivery and good reviews) but i have a feeling the panasonic would be more solid choice,im seriously thinking of setting up a website" excludesnorthernireland.com" for all the companies who refuse to do business here

rant over

23. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found something interesting about the XS34 that for me has put a different slant on things.
    For me the speed at which my fathers Panasonic E55 starts up is frustrating and annoying.
    I read with interest that the new EH50 was very fast to start up and this seems to have been confirmed by owners elsewhere in this forum.

However it would seem that the XS34 is not so fast. I the user manual (Page 5) it states...

This DVD recorder is more similar to a computer than it
    is to a standard DVD player. In addition to a
    microprocessor, it contains a hard disc drive (an HDD),
    an operating system, random access memory (RAM),
    and a DVD-RAM/R/RW drive. The operating system
    includes software stored on the HDD that is transferred
    to the RAM when the machine is turned on and at other
    times during operation. This transfer can take time.
    Thus, when you turn on the DVD recorder, it may be a
    minute or so
    before it is ready to use. Likewise, other
    functions may not be performed as quickly as they would
    on other AV equipment.[/
    I] In addition, because programs
    stored on the DVD-RAM/R/RW drive cannot be accessed
    as quickly as those stored on the HDD, accessing those
    programs (or deleting a program from a DVD-RAM or
    DVD-RW disc) may take more time. Please take these
    factors into consideration as you use the DVD recorder.

This lack of speed in response would eliminate this machine from my list of possibles. That only really leaves the EH50

Can anyone who has the XS34 confirm or dispute Toshibas performance claims for their machine?

Many thanks

AB-P