Panasonic E95 HD Editing Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The G, Apr 13, 2005.

1. The G

The G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E95 and very nice it is too. I notice the manual doesn't give you a lot of guidance with editing and I have encountered the following issue.

I would like a nice clean start to my recordings, so using the PARTIAL ERASE function, I try and edit out all the announcers guff at the beginning of a program (and I'm being very careful). However it sometimes also misses out a brief moment at the begining of the opening credits (even though the END point was well before) noticable because the first 'beat' of music is missing - almost as if it adds its own sound and vision fade up at the edit point.

How can I avoid this? Is using chapter divide - then erasing the earlier chapter a better way of doing this? Or do I need to take this into account and edit a couple of frames earlier than I thought?

Please help!!

2. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use chapter divide on my E95, then delete that chapter etc as I thought that was the only way to do it !!!, must look at the other option. However still have to be careful where the chapter point is set to avoide missing the required entry point.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The editing is a little annoying on the E95. Try as I may, it always seems to keep the first couple of frames of any recording I make, even though I do my best to edit out the intro.

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    I always create chapters on my e85 and delete the unwanted stuff.

5. The G

The G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses.

Mike@#36 and John G - do you find that the chapter divide route works well? Is the finished edit exactly as you want it?

6. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    I've not exactly checked my edits to be honest as I've never needed to be that accurate, but will do so.

7. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This machine is great
    but some things really annoy
    glad i'm not the only one who has probs
    Cheers steve

8. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It's down to the way that MPEG2 works. You can only edit it at certain points, I think it's about every three frames. So, you can't always place an edit exactly where you want it.

Here's an editing tip though, which I learned through trial and error: if you want to edit out something, like adverts, make your start point within the section you want to cut rather than just before it. Same goes for the end point - make it within the bit you want to erase, not just after it.

9. Tocsin

Tocsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of things on editing (I use an E85).

1. I use play lists now - rather than deleting adverts etc, I mark chapters and just don't put the adverts in the playlist. This is a defence against the possible fragmentation issue. When happily dubbed, I then delete the whole title.

2. I've not noticed an "advert frame" problem when playing back (on a S97) with -R, but I have seen a couple of them when playing back from RAM - so is media an issue?

Cheers,
    Tocsin

10. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So far so good, although I have never copied any such recordings to removable disk. I just remove adverts so that when other members of the family come to watch the programme they don't have to watch the ads. Usually the programme is then erased before long. The other tricks mentioned above are worth a try if archiving to disk though.

11. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @ The G & Nick_UK

Although I have a number of problems with the E95, I've never noticed this one – don't know if this helps (you may already do this), but this is how I edit:-

In partial erase:-

1. Let it play for a second or two, press pause, then previous track (left 'Skip' button) – this takes it back to the start of the recording.
    2. Press ‘Enter' to select ‘Start', then go to the end point of your edit, pausing, then using ‘Slow/Search', then ‘left/right' cursor keys for precision.
    3. Press enter to select ‘End', then 'Enter' again to select 'Next'.
    4. Select ‘Erase', then press 'Enter' to confirm.

NB: The frame displayed is the first (at the start point) and the last (at the end point) to be deleted.

HTH.

12. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Struan has got this right, this is the best way to edit.
    I have tried all ways and this is usually spot on although if you do this and then view but pause after edit and the go back frame by frame you will sometimes see a frame that has been deleted - this does not show on frame forward however.
    I experimented with using the chapter marking/chapter removal method - this is very convenient for rough editing but when testedusing start points and actually counting frames (sad I know) I found that this method removes an additional 5 frames from either side of the chapter removed (total of 10)
    THE G - the reason you are losing the first beat of sound is because your set up will be set to " seamless " play. look this up in your manual ( I have the 500 now and its on page 65 of this manual) and it will explain, but if you set this to off, you will get the sound, but suffer a slight freezing before the next scene ( in other words - not seamless )
    hope this helps

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Thanks Struan, I'll give it a go :smashin:

14. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - as this is related to the E95. I'm looking to get one of these, has anyone had any experience with using the DV connection for camcorders. If so any comments eg does the auto chapter work and are you able to move chapters around? How easy is it to edit a film.

Also anyone have a sony camcorder that they have connected to this and was it ok?

Other than that everything about the machine looks great - anything I should be wary about?

Many thanks

Tals

15. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    This is the perfect machine for what you want.
    Not sure about auto chapter as I set my own, but easy peasy to transfer ( I use a Sony TVR 50) and never had a problem.
    Moving chapters, editing, titles etc dead easy.
    Down side - no dvd recorder will be as sophisticated as your PC with suitable software. Can't do fades, fancy titles, etc. but for basic use very easy and very fast.

16. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i'm really excited - mines promised for my Birthday so I just need to hang in there (3 weeks time). Anyone know what the difference between the 95 and the 100?

Also anyone had experience of buyng from Pixmania (posted earlier) and even better if they had problems how well they were handled?

Many thanks Steve.

Tals

*edit scrub pixmania they no longer stock it *

17. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    The 95 has 160g harddrive and component connection
    The 100 has 80g harddrive and doesn't have component

The 95 has the new navigation system which enables you to do thumbnails etc
    The 100 has the old nav system which in my view (apart from thumbnails is much better) The 100s' create play list feature is far superior to the new nav systems play list. The 100 gave bitrate readout out the 95 doesn't. The 100 used markers, the 95 makes you create chapters for the same function although you can rejoin chapters which you couldn't on the 100.
    I loved my 100 but needed the bigger drive - I now have the 500
    This is just a brief guide on the differences.
    Had to rush this response as my daughter needs the PC. If you have any more queries let me know
    cheers steve

18. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve that is excellent and fully appretiate your predicament (I now have 3 pcs to ensure that my Children don't take up my PC time :) )

You have surprised me though, I had imagined that the 100 was the newer one as I think it is more expensive and is in the Panasonic literature whereas the 95 isn't always. But from your comments it sounds like the 95 is newer but maybe not so good.

So when you have a moment - how does the 500 compare - what made you go for that over the 95?

Appretiate your comments

Tals

19. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Tals, you are right - the 100 is the older machine. I could not understand why the 95, which was considered the replacement, was called the 95. This seemed to be illogical as usually, with panny, the numbers are higher the better the machine. But as I said I, and others, prefer the old nav system on the 100.

Why the 500 ?
    The 500 has a massive harddrive - 400 gig, also the 500 allows you to transfer from DVD-r to the harddrive (as well as DVD RAM). This means you can store back up on DVD-r's which only cost about 50-60p. At the time, I believe this was the only machine on the market to allow this (I'm not sure what, if any, other machines can do this even now)
    The 500 also has ethernet compatibility/connectability but I do not use this.
    The 500 has come down in price dramatically from £1300 to £799. Still pricy but a better spec. machine than the 95 if you don't mind the cost.

cheers Steve

20. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

Your responses helped and I went and bought the 95 today - got a very good price (£340). Now I just have to figure this baby out :)

Tals

21. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Tals

good luck, you will soon get used to it.

Steve

22. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 95 can also copy from DVD-R to the hard drive :smashin:

23. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Thats interesting, and good news for Tals.
    I wonder why panny are shy about telling people about this great feature. They kept it quiet in their promotional literature on the 500, I found out from my local dealer.

24. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

25. The G

The G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Much appreciated.

G.

26. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I can confirm the feature is there, not sure if it is just at SP or whatever - need to investigate that further.

I've been playing with the machine for the last couple of evenings, in that time i've recorded a couple of programs and tonight I fed in a dance evening (from the camcorder) my daughter had done a few months ago but which i'd promised one of the friends i'd burn a dvd for - before I had a dvd burner :) Anyway I played around with the editing, moved and clipped together a couple of scenes as well as clearing the parts that wern't needed. I'm ready to give my initial impressions.

First off i'm very happy with this purchase, the machine is an absolute joy - I read that it is on the complicated side but I have yet to feel i'm out of my depth with it. I would say the manual is incredibly badly written (IMHO) - i've read it cover to cover twice. However the actual machine is reasonably easy - easier than my old VCR. What can take a little understanding is the difference between the information held on the hard drive and the playlists which you use for editing. Once you get the hang of that it is very nice. I literally plugged in the camcorder - chose the auto dv option and it streamed the video onto the hdd and created a playlist to edit to. Very nice - took me about 2 hours then to create a 1/2 hour video (considering that was made from recording the dance twice so I was using the best of both that wasn't bad)

The Navigation menu which you use to select videos you have recorded is very nicely done - although their is a noticeable but short pause every time you select the button.

Lack of a Zoom button ala Toshiba for watching wide screen movies on a 4:3 screen is disappointingly not there

Layout of the controller and the menus is very good - pretty intuitive although the manual is recommended reading (despite its poor and confusing layout)

Ability to play videos whilst recording is easily done and again very easy - as is the ability to pause tv.

i'm currently recording on SP mode - but in future I will record camcorder stuff in XT mode - possibly not much loss but don't want any loss.

I don't think their is one aspect I can think of where I have been disappointed with the machine - except the lack of zoom for movies :eek:

So all in all a big thumbs up from me.

Tals

27. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tals,

Your comments about instruction manuals are reflected in many threads. It would be nice to be able to draw together our own set of instructions and tips for particular machines and have them posted somewhere on AV Forums - eventually as a download document in a similar way that reviews can be accesed for individual machines.

Perhaps you could start the E95 section on editing, as per your last post.

We would need to convince the system Admin members I suspect.

Only a thought.

28. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854

Great idea

29. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed - good idea, a friend also got the same machine as me at the same time. He pretty much reflected my own thoughts. Manual covers it all but is very disjointed. We almost need an FAQ for each machine that can be added to.

Tals

30. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A tip and a question :)

Tip is edit your play lists rather than the actual source (navigator) that way if you muck up you can always readd it without having to reupload etc. Also I find handling each scene at a time, chopping chapters erasing the rubbish then combining the chapters to make logical scenes makes a lot of sense.

A question, i'm debating whether to get a PC Card Adapter to allow me to upload images from my memory stick into the DVD player. But is their any point? As far as I can see I will only be able to view the pictures on the hard drive - I won't be able to make slide shows etc on the DVD along with the video. Is this correct?

Tals