Panasonic E95 And Sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RedRasper, Mar 9, 2005.

1. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have 500 quid to spend (and I want to spend every penny of it, as its being brought for me by work), and was looking at the Tosh XS34, but that seems to be only 300 quid, but does pretty much everything I wanted.

I was also looking at the E95, but one of the most important things is (like the 34) the ability to control sky and turn over to the correct channel etc.

I have looked everywhere, but can't seem to find if it does that or not?

(Alternatively if someone has another good suggestion let me know. I can't have sky + as I live in flats and we only have one sky terminal per flat)

Cheers in advance

Chris

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    The panny 95 is on sale at Multiregionmagic (p'boro) for £379
    I don't know of any dvd recorder that can change the sky channels. It has been discussed in this forum before. It is not in sky's interest to help enable people to do this as they want you to buy their HD machines. Even on sky + you cannot program it to change channels, you can set a reminder and thats what it does - puts a banner up reminding YOU to change the channel (helpful or what !!!)

3. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Also - I would definitely go for the panny. A much better machine IMHO, Use the extra cash to stock up on dvdram and dvd-r discs

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AFAIK the Toshiba RD-XS32 has an Infra Red 'dongle' which works with Sky enabling the recorder to change Sky channels. Dont know about the RD-XS34 as not yet available.

I have the Panny E65 (E95 without HDD) and has a feature called 'Ext link' which allows the Sky box VCR scart to start and stop recording. The only downside to this is the VCR scart only outputs composite so recording quality is not as good. There is a work around posted on this site to allow the use of TV out (RGB) and VCR out for DVDR control at the same time but I haven't tried it.

I have also seen reference to a special scart cable that does it also. Try a search on the site and google to see what you can find.

HTH

Wackojacko32

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Sorry to tell you but the £379 was while stocks last - price has gone up to £399 now. Still a good price though

6. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys!

I do know the xs34 has the infra red dongle, I've seen that in manual on the tosh website. (the xs34 is also appearing on websites now such as unbeatable and tvandvideodirect)

The sky part is pretty important to me. I like the idea of stocking up on dvdr and the like though.

Just want to me sure I get my 500 quids (slightly over!) worth thats all!

Chris