panasonic e85vs e100

LFC4ever

I just got the e100 from Richer Sounds.Not unpacked it yet but saw the e85 is just out - anyone tell me would I be better getting that instead?
Thanks

davee b

I just took my E100 back to richer sounds. its a great machine but it had a fault (see higher thread). I'd be interested to know about the E85 especially the hd size, does it have dv input and does it do fbr recording. obviously i'll research it before/if it becomes available but does anyone know offhand an expected launch date if applicable and expected cost. :rolleyes:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
It doesn't mention vcd playback there either. Anyone know if it does it ?

LFC4ever

Thanks - I rang Panasonic and they said it's basically the same machine but has Prog Scan and no DV in...as I haven't got a digicam I'm not bothered about that.Taking mine back and ordered an e85 from Unbeatable 482 delivered.

S

Schlammarama

I had also ordered one from Unbeatable, but have cancelled my order as they said it could be 2 or 3 weeks at best. Have reordered from Avland, as they have done the remote hack and they are also instock, although they only got they this morning. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow morning!

J

john.burn

I ordered mine from AV Land a few weeks back, they are dropping it off to my home personally tonight! How's that for service?

Regards,

John.

Dipman

Standard Member
Got a mail from AVLand to say mine was shipped tonight, should get it sometime tomorrow, hopefully!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I would be very interested to hear what you all think about this machine as I'm considering one too

S

Schlammarama

Am waiting for mine, but have seen Superfi have a multiregion E85 for £530. Ah well.

kofsw4

Standard Member
How about multiregionmagic.com for £479? Not sure about stock though I'll give them a bell....

R

Roughneck1

Originally posted by kofsw4
How about multiregionmagic.com for £479? Not sure about stock though I'll give them a bell....

Got mine from them this morning - ordered yesterday (they had just had them in) arrived this morning... :smashin:

Dipman

Standard Member
Hi,
Had mine a few days now but as I've been at work for most of them I'm still playing! Both the HDD and DVD recording are very easy. I had a couple of things on my Sky + box for my son (I hate wrestling!!!!) which he wanted put on DVD so that was my first 'project'.
I copied from Sky to the hard drive so I could play with it before putting it on DVD which I did with the Flexible Recording' mode.

I must say I was impressed with the quality of both the HDD and DVD copies. There was a little sign of compression on one of the disks as I put 2hrs 40 mins on a single disk, but as a first time DVD recorder buyer I'm quite happy. I've only used RGB to play onto my TV but the picture is fine and similar to my Pioneer stand alone. Only problem I've had so far is creating chapters on the disks but this is likely due to human error.

It does everything I want and seems to do it well so, at the moment, no complaints and for me money well spent.
:clap: :clap: :smashin:

Dipman

Standard Member
Hi,
Ha d mine a few days now but as I've been at work for most of them I'm still playing! Both the HDD and DVD recording are very easy. I had a couple of things on my Sky + box for my son (I hate wrestling!!!!) which he wanted put on DVD so that was my first 'project'.
I copied from Sky to the hard drive so I could play with it before putting it on DVD which I did with the Flexible Recording' mode.

I must say I was impressed with the quality of both the HDD and DVD copies. There was a little sign of compression on one of the disks as I put 2hrs 40 mins on a single disk, but as a first time DVD recorder buyer I'm quite happy. I've only used RGB to play onto my TV but the picture is fine and similar to my Pioneer stand alone. Only problem I've had so far is creating chapters on the disks but this is likely due to human error.

It does everything I want and seems to do it well so, at the moment, no complaints and for me money well spent.

kofsw4

Standard Member
Had my e85 for few days now:

+Good to get rid of my ugly black VCR and 3 year old black Sony DVDplayer as well as a bunch of cabling behind the tv

+Very easy to use despite a long feature list

+Excellent progressive playback of prerecorded discs on my plasma

+Acts as a RGB to Component convertor when I pass my cable signal through (cable tv bitrates are pretty crap but it looks at least as good, maybe better for films which play with progressive scan, than when i had an RGB to VGA convertor hooked up)

+Also passes through analogue audio to my amp via the optical cable

+Recordings are excellent in the "two hours on a dvd" mode (or at least as good as they can be with the crap NTL digital input)

+Time slip feature is very cool

- Not that keen on the mirrored front of the unit and no way to turn off the display

- I don't think there's a way of making it change channels on my cable box which would be very useful

I haven't noticed any lip sync problems at all.

It also strikes me as being pointless that my digital tv signal is converted to analogue by my cable box, then back to a digital picture by the DVD recorder which outputs an analogue picture to the TV! When is the entire path going to be digital?

bigsby

Originally posted by kofsw4
Had my e85 for few days now:

+Also passes through analogue audio to my amp via the optical cable

Glad to see this. i had wondered if I would have to have two connections to the amp - analogue for sky, optical for watching dvds. Good to see that I won't have to bother with that hassle.

Kaledii

I understand that the E85 has prog scan output for pre-recorded DVDs and will take an RGB signal and convert it to Component. Question is does it deinterlace live feeds and material recorded onto the hard drive, to progressive scan out?

puddleduck

Question is does it deinterlace live feeds and material recorded onto the hard drive, to progressive scan out?

The E55 does this so I'm sure the E85 does at well. Watching live feeds via Progressive into my AE-300 projector shows up as 675P so its PAL Progressive :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative launches Dolby Atmos SXFI Carrier soundbar