1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by asimmd, May 25, 2004.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I have just purchased the above and am pleased with it so far,except for the manual,which is quite confusing.I have 2 questions at the moment if anyone could help:
    1 When trimming the start and end points of a film to record to DVD How do I get the start exactly right,I recorded a movie from Sky and I can't get rid of all the preceeding waffle before the film starts,there always seems to be a couple of seconds of ads left?
    2 After finalising a dvd I find it won't play on the Schneider cheapo from Asda,but it does play on their other make
    Any Ideas please?
    Many Thanks
    Alan

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    for the editing - just use the 'partial erase' function to erase the bit's you don't want (once for the start, again for the end - just use the pause and frame advance to get it perfect.)

With regards to the compatibility - then assuming your recording to DVD-R then it's probably an issue with media rather then the Panasonic finalizing - try a branded disc such as TDK, Panasonic, Verbatim etc or my recommendation for unbranded DVD-R is anything based on a Ritek G04 dye (DARK purple surface).

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Teeerex
    Thats just what I wanted.I thought it may have been the media,serves me right for being mean where the blanks are concerned.
    Cheers
    Alan

4. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    With the partial erasing at the start of the recording, I had a few problems getting the first frames out. I've learned to pause the Partial Erase playback and then press rewind to take it right back to the very beginning. After a bit of practise, I've got this to the point where I can get things pretty much spot on. With Sky Movies there's often a blank frame or two between the film's Sky certificate and the start of the film, so you can get films pretty much perfect.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Does the E85 have the option to turn 'Seemless Playback' to OFF (the E20, E30, HS2 all had this but it was removed on the E50)? If so set it to OFF and you will be able to conduct frame accurate edits (- in particular it solves the problem of the unwanted couple of frames at the front which the recorder may otherwise 'hide' from you in the Partial Erase menu.

6. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that some cheap dvd players have problems with the menu system that Panny recorders produce on dvdr.

7. forumhound

forumhound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the E85 able to PLAY (not record obviously) DVD+R's ??

8. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    According to the manual, the E-85 won't play +R or +RW discs, but the review of the Panny in the latest Home Cinema Choice clearly states that it can.

I haven't got any + discs to try though. Anyone else tried? More interesting still, can it record them??

Great review btw in HCC.

9. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought an E85 as well, and I have no problems so far with the recording, only one with the playback of pre-recorded DVD's: Is there a way of displaying the amount of time remaining on the feature you are watching, or at the very least the total time of the feature? I had this on my previous player, and it is useful when browsing through extras on a disc to know at at-a-glance how long each one is. The 'status' button only displays time elapsed, and you can see that on the front panel anyway.

10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Just tried a recorded +RW plays fine, won't record to +RW. Don't have any +R's to try.

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That bugs me on my E50 also. I can't believe they omitted this feature. You just have to check how long the feature is before you start watching it.