Panasonic E85 - Watch a DVD whilst recording?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andy C, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Is it possible to watch a DVD whilst recording to the HDD when using the Panasonic E85?

I ask because if I have the DVD drive selected to watch a DVD and try to use the Direct TV Record or DVB timer feature from the Freeview on my Viera it has an error. Can you force a recording to HDD?

Many thanks...

Andy.

2. keithyboy

keithyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've not had my E85 that long but i'm sure i read in the manual that you can watch a DVD and record at the same time.

I think you have to set the E85 to HDD for recording then stick in a DVD in the drive and it automatically picks it up and plays.

Not 100% sure though but worth a try.

Kr.

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You certainly can watch a DVD while HDD recording. Your problem is simply that you have the unit in DVD mode when you are asking to start recording - so it is trying to record to the DVD. I can now see there is obviously an issue using the viera because it would be necessary to stop the DVD, switch to HDD mode, start the recording and then go back to DVD to continue watching. It would have been very nice if they had coded it such that you could set an option to always use the HDD for Direct TV record option, or to use the HDD if the current DVD disc is not writeable etc...

Meybe in the next round of recorders they will implement something like this.