1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 vs Toshiba XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 3.6R, Aug 18, 2004.

1. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi at All
    New on the forum, and after having read many threads, I would like to be able to compare Panasonic E85 against Toshiba XS32.
    :lease: Are there really people who could compare with their personal use these 2 machines ?
    Of course not on the inputs outputs but on the reality of use
    and yours PLUS and CONS ?
    Thanks in advance :smashin:
    Philippe

2. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering both of these units, and in the end went for the Tosh XS32.

Apart from the technical bits and bobs, the "everyday" things that swung it for me are:

* The little IR transmitter that means it will change channels on sky for timer recordings without having to rely on the sky "personal planner"

* The "sat mon" button that means you can watch sky while the DVD recorder is in standby without having to run a dedicated second cable from the sky box to the TV.

A couple of minor things that the XS32 doesn't do which the E85 does are:
    * Auto programme naming from teletext (don't know how well this works in reality, or if it works at all from sky)
    * If you have a repeating timer (e.g. same programme every Tuesday night), the E85 has an option to overwrite the previous recording, whereas the Toshiba will just record each episode, and you will have to manually delete them after viewing (does that explanation make sense ?).

Another point for the XS32 is the DV input which I don't think the E85 has - even if you don't have a use for it now, it's handy to have !

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    John

3. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks at All. :smashin:

In the Toshiba XS32 instructions, it can record sounds in 18bits/48khz in manuel XP mode at rate 8Mb maximum. For the others record mode, we can choose between 192Kb or 394Kb in Dolby Digital.
    OK.

Please, what are the choices with Panasonic E85 and at what rates for DD and LPCM ?

Is manuel XP mode on Toshiba, with exclusively LPCM (18/48khz), possible with other vidéo rates than 8Mb ? (less for much place ?)
    Same question for PANA E85 ?

And for those 2 DVD Recorders, for the digital output, Can we configure this output in the menu between LPCM and DolbyDigital ?
    or no choices, only DD ?

[ Questions are because all my sources are digital and work with a Swiss DAC Upsampling only LPCM in 24bits/192khz for a audio/vidéo system with only 2 speakers (Magneplanar 3.6R) ]

Cordially
    Sorry for my bad english
    Philippe in France

5. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Toshiba, you can record in L-PCM with the picture quality set anywhere between 1.4 and 8.0 in increments of 0.2 (i.e. 1.4, 1.6, 1.8...etc)

There is a table in the manual that shows the recording time on the HDD and a blank DVD-RAM at each increment for all three sound settings.

Regards,
    John

6. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have found online manuels for Pana 55 and 100 on an other thread, (thanks Rasczak for the link ).
    And i am looking for the online manuel for the Toshiba XS32.
    Who can give me a link, please ?

Thanks in advance ;)
    Philippe

7. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The Toshiba can only record PAL properlly, and I believe it doesnt do NTSC Progressive scan

9. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi at All

Please, Somebody can it explain me (technicaly and quality) how a DVD Recorder as Panasonic E55 or TOSHIBA XS32 can transform on setup menu on his Digital Output :
    Dolby Digital (192Kb or 384Kb) on LPCM 16bits/48Khz ?

For best quality as i require, is it so not necessary to record in LPCM (XP mode) since the digital exit transform all in LPCM if we choose it (for only stéreo system as mine) ??

Best regards

Philippe

10. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, Where can i find the online manual for Pioneer 520 ?
    cordially
    Phil

11. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0