Panasonic E85 Recorder help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tonynz, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tonynz

Tonynz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new on here, and have found alot of the information of great help.
    I have just purchased on the weekend the E 85 ( to replace my Samsung Hard Drive).
    I have hooked it all up and have come across something strange, I am not sure if it is normal or not.
    I have the sky (our pay for view is called sky as well) hooked into AV2 scart connector.
    Then AV1 scart to TV(Philips plasma reciever box) Ext 2
    Have Ext1 on TV hooked direct from sky decoder.
    When I record something on the hard drive then watch it the picture comes through both Ext2 as well as Ext1 on the TV.
    It means if I decide to pause the hard drive I can't switch to Ex1 and watch something on sky. as the paused picture also shows on Ext1.
    Also if I play a DVD it comes through on Ext2 as it should as well as Ext1 (not a major problem as I did not buy it for playing DVD's as I have a NAD palyer for that).
    It is as if the signal is being feed back through the sky decoder.

I have checked all connections and everything is hooked up OK.

I hope this makes sence.
    Tony

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Where abouts in the world are you? New Zealand (from the nz in your name)? If so the I'm not sure if your connection types are the same as the UK: does your equipment come equipped with Scart sockets or do have the superior component connections? Whatever take the following advice with a pinch of salt:

You should alter your connections slightly:

Sky TV Out > AV2 on the E85 and then AV1 > TV RGB input (probably EXT1)

Sky VCR Out > TV EXT2

This will allow you to record in RGB quality, to benefit from the pause live TV/Timeslip features and to play DVDs in RGB. It will also give you a Composite connection from Sky to your monitor should the E85 be recording from it's inbuilt tuner.

3. Tonynz

Tonynz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak
    Thanks for your help, I have done what you described and it works.
    The E85 here in New Zealand comes with scart connections as well as one set of component out.
    Our sky decoders sourced from the UK have scart connections.
    Thanks for your help.
    Tony