Panasonic E85 query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andrewski22, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Andrewski22

Andrewski22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When dubbing from the HDD of my Panasonic E85 to DVD-R the DVD I end up with always plays back (on other DVD players) in 4:3 format despite being recorded from a digital 16:9 broadcast and the dub being done in regular mode. How do I get the dub to record in the correct ratio and send an automatic format signal to my TV? There does not seem to be any options other than to have hi speed dubbing on or off - nothing more detailed than this.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm very confused about the E85 widescreen tagging too: I'm finding that programmes recorded from my digital source (NTL) direct to the HDD are losing the widescreen tagging . Everything I record has to be resized using my TV controls. Needless to say it's the same when dubbing to DVD-R.

Anyone know how this is supposed to work? I may have reset something when initially learning the ins and outs of the E85, as I'm sure it was fine when I first got it.

(incidentally, I think it loses any widescreen tagging info if you make hi-speed copies)

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think it loses the widescreen tagging when you record into DVD-R format. By default you cannot record to DVD-R in high speed mode unless you set 'Make recordings in DVD-R high speed mode' which means that the HDD recording is already in DVD-R format thus allowing high speed dubbing with no conversion required, but meaning that the same limitations are applied on the HDD copy.

Not sure if the loss of tag is a DVD-R thing, or just something Panasonic did...

4. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ah, that would make sense. So if I'm recording something onto HDD not for future DVD-R archiving I should turn off the "High Speed" transfer setting before recording? I'll give that a go. Thanks

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Dont hold me to it if it doesnt work though - still using 4:3 myself so I cant vouch for it. That is my interpretation which seems to make some sense to me though...

As said the manuals arent very clear.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    It's just something Panasonic did. For example on the Toshiba RX32 you can add the widescreen switching signal to DVD-Rs. If you using a PC DVD burner in conjunction with your E85 then you can use IFO Edit to re-add it.

I'll be adding details on how to do this to the 'PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (Inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R' thread in the near future. Until then you can use the guide here:
    http://www.ghorne.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vidtest/169frame.htm

Alternatively you can just manually switch the TV which is hardly a major chore.