1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 Passthrough

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RERobbins, Feb 22, 2005.

1. RERobbins

RERobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just replaced my combination VCR/DVD player with a Panasonic E85 and am confused about setting it up to pass through a sigal when the E85 is switched off.

At the moment, I've attached an S video cable from the output of my cable box to the L3 S video input on the E85 and then attached another S video cable from one of the output terminals to my TV (I'm not at home at the moment and don't recall if I used Out1 or Out2).

I'd like to be able to keep the E85 turned off except for when I need to use it and it appears that if I do so, using my current configuration, the signal does not get passed through from the cable box to the TV.

Can I configure the unit to do what I want or do I need to split the signal from my cable box and route one through the E85 and another directly to my TV?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'm really confused.

-- Rich

2. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just use the coaxial RF in and RF out on the recorder. This is passthrough and will send cable signal to tv without turning on the recorder.

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the E65 and, AFAIK, the principle is the same with the E85. That is, it will only pass through the signal from AV2 scart to AV1 scart when the machine is switched.

Obviously the RF method will work but you could try connecting via the Scart method to get a better quality passthrough.

What type of cable box have you got. Will it output s-video or RGB via scart?

Wackojacko32

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not using S-Video so not sure if it's the same as scart. However the signal from my Sky box passes through the E85 to the TV without any need for the E85 to be on. Can you not use scart leads?

5. RERobbins

RERobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe that the E85 made for sale in the United States has an scart connector.

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Where did you mention it was a US model?

7. RERobbins

RERobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think to mention the fact that I live in the United States and didn't recognize that the devices might be different.

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem. The other name for a scart connector is a Euroconnector so it appears it's only used in Europe.

9. RERobbins

RERobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I guess it looks like the only connector that will do passthrough for me is the RF connector, which I'm not inclined to use. I'm going to take component output from my cable box and run it to component inputs on the TV. I'll take a S Video output from the cable box and run it to the E85 and then use an S Video output from the E85 and run it to an S Video input on the TV. If I want to play from the E85 I'll need to flip the video source on the TV from the component video input to the S Video input. The only other little piece that I think I'll need to deal with is that the cable box has only a single audio output, which I'll just split with a Y cable.

If anyone has a better approach, let me know.

Thanks,

-- Rich