1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 passthrough/timer query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Skaffen, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Skaffen

Skaffen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up an E85 from Richer Sounds a couple of days ago and very happy with it so far, however I do have one query.

The passthrough from my TW STB works fine (AV1 on STB to AV2 on E85, AV1 on E85 to AV1 on TV), however if I've set a timer recording, when it starts, the signal to the TV on AV1+RGB vanishes?

This is really annoying if you're watching the end of one programme and then the recording kicks in a couple of minutes early for the next programme and blanks the screen.

I'm able to get round it by hooking AV2 of the STB up to AV2 on the TV and viewing AV2 instead - but with that being non-RGB the picture isn't as good.

Is there a 'please don't blank the screen when you start a recording' setting that I'm missing in the menus? :)

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's odd. Will have to check with mine but I thought that the E85 would always output on AV1 whatever was selected as input, in this case whatever signal is being fed into AV2?

3. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Story is exactly the same as yours Adrian.

Bought mine from Richer Sounds a few days ago and have the same problem with the output from the Pany cutting out when the Timer button is pressed.

BTW did you bow have a yellow Multiregion sticker on the side? If so have you been able to check if it is indeed multi region? All my discs are R2, but I plan to borrow a R1 disc from a frien to check.

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I'm confused now re-reading the posts!

Skaffen, when you talk about timer recordings do you mean ones made from the analogue TV input? If not what are you making timed recordings from - the cable box?

Should be able to help with a few more details.

Adrian

5. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I tried out a few different settings and got a picture to pass thru when the unit was off and in Timer Record mode by setting AV2 to "Ext Link 2" (I also already had AV2 set to "Normal" NOT "Decoder").
    I can only guess that "Ext link 1" blocks a scart pin or something.

Still a bit annoying that you need the E85 switched off otherwise you only get the "playback only possible during timer recording" message on the screen.

Hope this helps.

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Skaffen

I have the E65 but I assume the principles are the same. I too can only view STB passthrough with the E65 in standby or if AV2 is selected on the E65. When the E65 is on, or powers up for timer recording, it will display whatever its recording.

HTH

Wackojacko32

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its meant to work like this. If you need to see an external source whilst recording, with the machine off, you will need a second scart lead from that source to an alternate input on the tv. If you turn it on you will see what the machine is recording.

8. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ken, but we are talking about viewing the source your recording during ehrn the E85 is in timer mode. As I mentioned in my previous post I think I've cracked it when the machine is off, but not when it is on due to the on-screen message blocking the view.

9. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ken

I know it is, and I was just reassuring the OP that my E65 did the same :)

Wackojacko32

10. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    This is a problem. I have bought a Philips 9986 LCD TV and like everyone I am greatly impressed. The problem I have is that the screen goes blank - blue actually! - when a timer recording starts through my dvdr - a Panasonic DMR E85. I cannot get a picture from my telewest cable stb through the component to dvi or scart rgb connections of the dvdr when the recording is happening. The stb is connected by scart to the dvdr av2 input so that I can record cable onto the dvdr. There is no other connection to the lcd from the stb apart from RF connection looped through. The other scart from the stb goes to the vcr. The dvdr is connected by both the scart output to ext 1 and the dvi via the supplied component to dvi lead. Is this my problem? I have tried setting the dvdr to either rgb or component outputs but the same happens. Any ideas would be appreciated. Surely the dvdr should not blank the screen when timer record is happening and when it is recording a terrestrial chanel via the RF. I do understand that if recording from the stb then you can't watch another channel from the stb on the lcd. However, my problem is I can't watch anything, even when the dvdr is timer recording terrestial!

11. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's strange.

I did a manual (just pressed the record button) record on the E85 last night
    and it didn't cut off the passthrough to the TV.

So what possible technical reason is there why it does this during a timed recording?

Maybe Panasonic need to release a firmware update to address this.

I think I'll send them an email...

12. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I did the same and it was also Ok. Please, please let me know of any progress you make in getting an answer to this. Thanks - it's great to know it's not just me but none of us should have this problem.

Eddie

13. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right heres my theory! Panasonic have decided to make it so the DVDR's dont output a signal from the DVDR when timer recording so that when it switches on it doesn't change the AV input on your TV. Imagine you are watching a Video, DVD on a different AV input, just gets exciting when the DVDR starts up and the TV switches to it! Agh!

So the only way to watch STB when DVDR is Timer recording is via another direct correction via scart or possible RF, which is why most STB have two scarts, but then were back to the RGB v Pal problem again.

Have any of you tried the RF passthrough to see if it works this way when in Timer recording? TBH I dont use Timer recording that much as I have Sky+ also.

Just a theory BTW

Wackojacko32

14. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Wackojacko32

I've got a feeling you might be right. I've emailed Panasonic for the advice!

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll have to get a twin scart connection from the stb.

Eddie

15. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in HK so don't know what STB and the other shortenings used in this thread are for, I guess they are for channels names?

Anyway, I would like to say what are the IN/OUT connections of my E85 and what sort of problems I get with the TIMER settings, hoping someone has found a workaorund:
    1. Rear AV OUT: I use this to feed the DVD output signal to my main TV set.
    2. Rear AV2: I use this to connect the broadband TV signal with a "S-Video+RCA to scart" cable.
    3. Rear AV1: I use this to connect to an external VCR
    4. Rear Component YPbPr: I use this one to feed my LCD Proj AE700 with both the TV and DVD signals.
    5. Rear RF IN: I sue this one to get the TV aereial input from/thru a Cable TV Decoder (The main TV is fed from this same signal directly via another RF coax cable).

The problems I am encountering, when TIMER is ON, are:
    A. I can only playback the HDD content or use the DVD. This is well specified on page 18 of the manual (for Hong Kong market). However, that means I cannot watch any TV channels on my LCD projector while TIMER is set to ON.
    The workarund is to turn the TIMER to OFF. But, if by any chances I forget to turn it on again, after I have finished watching TV on my proj, then I may miss recording whatever programs were set for recording until I turn TIMER to ON again. This is for me a big nuisance.
    B. If the TV signal setting is PAL and I try and play a NTSC DVD (or viceversa), the disc won't play. So, either I have to change the settings of the TV signal (very complicated) or, the easiest way is to temporarily switch the TIMER off. Again, it may be possible to forget to switch it back on again with the same consequences of above point "A".

Other DVD Recorders have many other problems but they can certainly handle TIMER settings in a better way.
    So, I wonder why Panasonic has not solved the above problems yet, which I believe could be addressed with a little firmware upgrade.
    Perhaps, I can assume, because unless the upgrade of the FW can be done by the user, it would be too costly for Panasonic, thus avoid to do that altogether? Any ideas?

I want to add that I have had the E85 for nearly 48hrs and so far I love it.
    It has the potential to be the perfect DVD HDD Recorder if Panasonic would go serious with perfectioning it.

The above are the only two features that IMO are the E85's main shortcomings (that I have found so far and which I hope will remain the only ones), related only to the TIMER.

I used to have a Philips HDRW720, which was an extremely capable machine (once you worked around the useless manual and the very "limited" remore control), but which I had to part with due to a little problem with recording audio.
    I do miss the Philips' Time Shift feature big time, along with the possibility of recording on RW discs. But, the E85's ease of use (I set it up without needing to read the manual), along with a muuuuuuch more user friendly interface and the progressive scan output, do make up for the loss of the Philips' TIME SHIFT indeed ........ well ............ sort of...........!!!!

Cheers :D

16. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Did you get anywhere with sorting this out?

Eddiethered

17. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

Did you get anywhere in sortong this out?

Eddiethered

18. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not Yet...

Don't think they'll bother :(

19. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you wish it to pass through all the time you must set the panasonic to decoder on the input. Unfortunately this means you can only record from that input, and will not be able to use the analogue tuner to record from.
    Best compromise is a second connection from the digibox to the tv to give complete flexibility, through a video if you need one, although that connection will not be in rgb quality.

20. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ken.

But you don't know the technical reason for the passthrough cutoff during timed recordings and not manual recordings do you?

21. Thrower

Thrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you guys posted this.

I've just come here looking for an explanation of exactly the same problem.

Can watch Sky through the Pana 85 until the time comes in then all black.

I'll try changing the settings to Decoder.

22. somersetpaul

somersetpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have the new DMR-ES10. It does not allow passthrough of my digibox signal when manual recording from the analogue tuner. I don't get a blank screen, but can only view the channel being recorded. Haven't tried a timer recording yet. Anyway, I spoke to my local Panasonic Centre and they confirmed this is normal and advised I buy a scart adapter box to solve the problem (because scart 2 input on my TV has my VCR attached). My JVC DRM-10 has a button to allow passthrough when recording, but is currently being repaired.

23. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It doesn't matter that you are using scart 2 for your video as the vcr output from your digibox to the video will allow you to watch sky whilst using the recorder to record from its analogue tuner. Indeed that is the recomended set-up. If you select the second scart from your tv with the vcr off it will pass through the digibox signal. If you turn on the video it will see that instead. You have no neded to buy a scart adappter box, they are only trying to sell you something you can manage without.

24. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the E95 and for a brief few hours had the same 'blanking' problem - however I managed to solve it.

I have a Sky digibox and scart cables linked in the full circle etc.

The problem is with RGB compatibility, for some reason Panasonic dont output RGB on all their scart sockets and so you have to be careful what settings are used which can become very confusing.

In short you all need to check what connection settings you have set under the set up menu. On my E95 there is a setting for AV1 and a couple for AV2. Although it's tempting to set these to RGB try setting these to Video then see if the blanking problem goes away.

If you have a sky box then selecting decoder will not work correctly, nor will Ext Link 2. Selecting Ext Link 2 had the effect of turning on record every time I turned the sky box on !.

Hope this helps.

25. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mike

I have the E65 and there is no problem with RGB pass through with the unit in standby, the problem is when recording from the in built tuner. I think the problem you have is that the Sky box is not set to output RGB, or someone has pressed the TV button which changes the output back to Composite (AKA Video). If this is not the case, and you mean that the passthrough works when the E95 is in timer mode then apologies and I might give this a try next time I use the timer. :)

Regards

Wackojacko

26. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wackojacko32

The panasonic Sky Box only outputs RGB via the TV scart and NOT the VCR scart for some reason. As such the DVDr needs to be set to Video.

To be honest I don't see any noticable difference betwen the two settings so I am not too bothered about using the video setting. I do have RGB set for the direct link from the satelite box to TV though.

There are countless Oddities with panasonic systems, and looking at other threads with most other manufacturers as well. All goes to make for a nightmare when setting up systems.

27. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mike

I see where your comng from now :) I, and most others in this thread, have the TV out of the Sky box connected to AV2 on the DVDR and need to set both to RGB to enable passthrough. This gives arguably better recording and picture quality, but if you cant see a difference it doesn't matter.

Regards

Wackojacko

28. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's interesting, as it is exactly as I have my set up as below:

TV AV2 to DVDr AV1
    DVDr AV2 to Sat VCR Scart socket
    TV AV1 to Sat TV Scart socket​

However in order for the linked timer recording function to work, i.e. using the Sky Personal Planner, the AV2 input setting has to be set to 'video' as it is not posible to use the EXT LINK button to record RGB. Again another peculiarity of Panasonic. Also as I think I mentioned in a previous quote, Pansonic engineers have told me that the Sky box only outputs RGB on the TV out and Not the VCR out socket. Having said that when I do change the setting to RGB I still get a picture :confused:

It all boils down to personal preference although it shouldn't have to. It seems that you either have to put up with a blank screen for 45 seconds when turning on etc and have RGB quality, or if you want to use EXT LINK and the timer functions of the Sky Box etc then live with the 'Video' signal. Fortunately my TV provides a decent signal / reproduction with both and you would be hard pressed to decide if you were watching RGB or Video.

Perhaps one day the digital age will arrive and all will be well :rolleyes:

29. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the planner starts up you get
    TV Scart - sound only
    Video Scart - composite video output

When you press the SKY button( & Sky box is set to RGB)
    TV Scart - RGB output & Composite Video Output
    Video Scart - composite video output

The problem is if your DVD is set to record the RGB signal from the TV scart on a planner start up, all you get is the sound and no picture.

Viewing with the passthrough shouldn't care as the sky box will pass output both RGB and Video signals which will be passed to your TV. Hence the reason why you still get a signal.

30. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is not what I said. I have

Sky TV out to DVDR AV2
    DVDR AV1 to TV AV1

All set to RGB.

This is not the fault of the DVDR, you can record RGB with EXT link, its just that ALL Sky boxes only output the EXT link signal from the VCR output and this only outputs composite. There have been solutions posted on the website to take the EXT link signal from the VCR socket of the Sky box and combine it with the TV out scart signal to achieve just this.

I now have Sky+ so only use the DVDR for archive now and haven't looked into this further, I think there may even be some commercial solution to this now.

You only mentioned 'the Panasonic doesn't output RGB on all outputs', I thought you meant the DVDR, sorry :) However, as I said above this is the same for all Sky boxes AFAIK.

Wackojacko