Panasonic E85: Maintaining chapters during dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvddubber, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dvddubber

dvddubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have dubbed a video tape with multiple clips, programs etc. onto a DVD-R with a Panasonic E75.

As you can't edit on an E75, I bought an E85 too. I copied the DVD-R I'd created onto the E85's hard drive. Then I added all the chapter points I wanted.

I then tried dubbing everything to a new DVD-R on the E85 and all of the chapters I'd created were removed and replaced by an arbitrary chapter point every 5 minutes. Incredibly incovenient and useless to me.

The E85 manual infers that if you dub in high speed, the chapters will be maintained on the DVD-R. But the problem is, the E85 won't let me dub in high speed. I have set the high speed option to "on" but it refuses to let me dub in anything other than normal speed.

What am I doing wrong? How can I make sure my "playlist" is dubbed to a disc with chapter points intact? What is preventing me from dubbing in high speed. (I am using Verbatim 8x DVD-R blank discs).

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can only dub in high speed if the recording on the hard drive is the same quality as you require on the dvd. ie if you have copied at xp then you can only dub at high speed for a program of up to 1 hour length, up to 2 hours at sp etc. If you have to re-encode to a different recording quality ie 3 hours at xp to a dvd using fr you will loose all the chapters etc and not be able to high speed dub.

3. dvddubber

dvddubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

I do understand your point. But what I have found is that I can't dub in high speed in either direction in any situation. I tried with just 3 clips totalling twelve minutes dubbing from the hard drive to a DVD-R but it wouldn't let me do high speed. I've tried dubbing several discs to the hard drive and the high speed option is disabled. I have selected "on" in the set-up menu for the high speed dubbing option.

Panasonic Customer Service told me that to copy stuff from the hard drive to a DVD-R, it had to be dubbed from the original disc to the hard drive in high speed in the first place. I thought this was a solution but, as I said, the machine will not allow me to dub in high speed.

I don't think there is a fault with the machine - I think there's something that I don't know about the machine/controls that is preventing me from doing it. I'm hoping other Panasonic E85 users might have the answer.

4. dvddubber

dvddubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spoken to Panasonic customer service a couple of times already this week. An expert rang me today and advised that, when I want to do high speed dubbing from a DVD-R to the hard drive, I can only do one hour at a time and the material on the DVD-R had to be recorded in XP originally.

Does this sound right?

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hello dvddubber

I think your problem probably stems from the fact that your recording was originally made on an E75. The manual for the UK version of the E85 states (on P41) "You cannot transfer (dub) titles to a DVD-R using the high speed mode if you recorded the programme on a DVD recorder that does not have the "DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode" function, even when transferring (dubbing) to the HDD with this setting "On"." (The layout of the Australian manual may be different - in the UK manual the statement is under Changing the unit's settings - Summary of settings - Disc - DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode.) It would appear from your experience that this is even true when the dub to the HDD involves re-encoding. Sadly the non-HDD Panasonic recorders (E55, E65, E75) do not seem to have the DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode setting.

There are some other circumstances in which high speed dubbing will not work, mostly involving playlists. They are listed at the foot of page 35 in the UK manual (under Transferring (dubbing) titles or play lists - Regarding high speed transfer (dubbing) to DVD-R).

So, to achieve what you want. To create your own chapters on a DVD-R you need set the DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode setting to 'On' in the E85, then dub the tape directly to the E85's HDD, edit the recording as you wish, including chapter points, and then high speed dub to a DVD-R. Note that you cannot see the chapters on the finalised DVD-R, you can only skip to them.

I'm puzzled by the reply you received from customer service. As far as I'm aware dubbing from DVD-R to the HDD can only be done at normal speed. This is what the UK manual indicates at the top of page 35 (under Transferring (dubbing) titles or play lists - Transferring (dubbing) direction). If you had dubbed the tape to a DVD-RAM in your E75 you could have dubbed the recording to the E85's HDD at high speed (with the advantage of no re-encoding), but without the DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode setting in the E75 it wouldn't have helped with retaining the chapters.

6. Currie

Currie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the E85 and as far as I am aware you have to record the program initially with the high speed switch on, otherwise it won`t allow you to dub in high speed mode in either direction. I f you look at the create list options in the dubbing menu, any programs that were originally recorded in high speed mode will have little icon beside them, like the fastforward arrows on the image of a disk.
    As you can see in the screenshot the first program was not recorded in high speed mode so cannot be dubbed high speed.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. dvddubber

dvddubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0