Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic E85 - loss of picture

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jirob, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this. I've had the machine for a couple of days, and last night ran a copy from Sky+, using the Timer on the E85. I checked it this morning, and it seems to have recorded the lot without any problems. However, when I tried to watch live TV through the unit, all of the channels (AV and RF) had a black screen. The sound was fine, but there was no picture.

I pressed the Sky button on the (Sky) remote, and the picture returned on the AV channels. Still no picture on the normal RF channels. So, as no physical connections had moved or changed overnight, and considering I could view the analogue channels OK directly through the TV, I thought I'd do an automatic setup again, to see if it picked up the channels.

Bizarrely, once this had run, it had put the Sky signal into the first 20-30 RF channels. It hasn't found the usual analogue channels at all.

So, does this make sense to anyone? Or does it sound like the RF (I use that term without knowing if it's appropriate...) tuner has broken overnight? Seems strange, considering the sound was there before I retuned it.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Check that AV2 Connection in menus on the E85 is set to Normal and NOT Decoder. :)

3. jirob

jirob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check when I get home. That does ring a bell, actually. I might have changed that when I was fiddling with the settings yesterday.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    THe black screen was because you had touched the tv button on the sky remote, and turned off the rgb output, which is a very anoying built in feature. Touching the sky button turns it on again, hence the return of the picture on the sky channels.

This is very easy to do by mistake and caused me a lot of lost recordings until I realised that i and my kids were using the sky remote to change tv analogue chanel whilst the recorder was recording from sky.

I have now disabled that button on the remote and not had this problem since.

5. gaspx

gaspx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that info Ken, I was just about to a. Pull my hair out and b. Find a replacement digibox to figure out why everything worked with RGB one minute and then a few hours later i'd try it and get a black screen!!

Just out of interest, did you "disable" the TV button on the Sky remote using a setting, or was it more of a "damn you TV button, you'll not screw up my recordings anymore.. <insert: screwdriver>" ?

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Insert craft Knife, carefully cut out button, insulating tape over the contacts on board beneath, reduce the thickness of the removed button, and stick back in with a dab of black silicon sealant that I had just been using in the kitchen. Remote looks original, but button does not work now.

I have since had to replace the digibox and now have an unused untouched remote still in its wrapper, should I ever need this feature again!