Panasonic E85 HDD setting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by honza.g, Feb 18, 2005.

1. honza.g

honza.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    does anybody know how the hard disk jumper should be set? I demounted it and put into my friend's PC (to do backup of some TV programs). But he changed the position of the jumper (to set the HDD up as a slave) and we forgot the original one. When I returned this Samsung HD to my Panny, it fails the boot sequence - SELF CHECK ends with one od these messages: "Error occurred - press Enter ... etc." or "Change the disc ....". I have tried all vertical positions but the error remains. Maybe there is some special horizontal one.
    It is easy to discover if you have the E85: under the cover (5 screws) just unbend the HDD (3 screws) and pick it up to see the jumper area. It is left from the power supply socket: [::::] <oooo>
    There is no restraints like protection labels.
    So be brave and look at it, please.
    Any other recommendations are welcome.

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I ain't gonna unwarranty my new E85 - sorry.

Did you try setting it to master ?

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Failing that call panasonic but be prepared for them to tell you it has invalidated your warranty. Only other option is to try all horizontal settings too.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are only three possibilities if the drive is connected with the standard IDE plug (the big one on a flat cable):
    1. Master
    2. Slave
    3. Cable select [this selects Master or Slave depending on which plug of the 'Y' cable is connected to the drive in a PC]

So looked at logically: you already know Slave is wrong: if you used Cable Select it couldn't select slave as you know that is impossible.
    So it must be Master.
    But if you have tried Master and that doesn't work, there must be something else going on. Are you sure the plug is fully home?

Try this site http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
    the user guides show jumper options.

It is possible that the connection is SATA (small round cable) in which case the jumpers are not relevant and the plug should usually be set to a 'store' position.

If the HDD shares a 'Y' cable with the DVD drive, you could check the DVD jumper setting and the HDD must be the 'other' one.

I wonder if during the HDD's temporary residence in the PC something was written to it by the PC? You could take a chance and do a full format of the problem drive on a PC, without creating a boot sector.
    If you are totally unable to fix it, it is possible that buying a new (totally identical) drive around £50 probably, and fitting that would fix the problem and be cheaper than a repair bill. The E85 would get a 'virgin' HDD and might then proceed to format it correctly.

If you contact Panasonic you don't have to say what you did - claim you are replacing a faulty drive and (stupidly) disturbed the jumper.

At least you know whom to bill for the repair if you can't fix it. :D

5. jmatos

jmatos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cable select

6. honza.g

honza.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to jmatos: Have you seen it or is it just your suggestion?
    to eddyad: My friend is 100% sure about write-protected connection of Panny's HDD. Master setting is my idea too. I'm afraid the problem is somewhere else. I heard these DVDRs are pretty sensitive. The disc is SV0802N (ATA-7) but there is a reduction from narrow (~1'') flat cable to IDE socket. The cable looks almost like copper tape and runs somewhere under the DVD drive but it has probably its own cable.

7. jmatos

jmatos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see it

8. honza.g

honza.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Misfortune I found the Roger's URL (http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm), I would try to get into service menu or set the factory defaults. Now I have my E85 back from Panny-service (technician message - replacing the disc - was flam, I had written down numbers from HDD label). And jumper setting? He remove the jumper so the HDD is in slave mode while I left it in cable select.