1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 Disc error-stuck in loop

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanK, Sep 1, 2004.

1. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD Recorder is stuck in a loop. There is no disc in the tray. On power up it says 'Error has occurred. Please press enter. Timer recording, standby recording & ext link standby will be cancelled'.

When I then press enter. It states "Please change the disc". The only option then is enter. Which causes the machine to restart and the same "Error has occurred........" message is displayed.

I can't open the disc tray to put in a disc at any point. I've cycled the power with no improvement. Any ideas before I send it back/throw it down the road!.

Cheers,

Ian

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sometime ago I downloaded the HS2 manual (E85 not online). The HS2 manual describes a Unit Reset as follows (it is in the trouble-shooting section at the end under "The Unit is On but cannot be operated"):
    'Reset the unit as follows:
    (1) Press [O/I] on the main unit to switch the unit to standby.
    If the unit doesn’t switch to standby, press and hold [O/I] for about 10 seconds. The unit is forcibly switched to standby.
    Alternatively, disconnect the AC mains lead, wait one minute, then reconnect it.
    (2) Press [O/I] to turn the unit on.'

Also, you should have a way to "Return the unit's settings to the initial state (factory setting)" which may help.

You will need to check your manual to ensure the E85 has equivalent reset functions.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    It sounds like it might be a hard disk failure - annoying but a fact of life with HDD technology (odds are if a HDD fails it does so when it is new). What your seeing is the 'disk check' the E85 does when it starts up: it checks the HDD and the DVD tray. Provided both prove OK it launches, if either fail it goes into a loop like your seeing.

The solution if there is a dodgy disk in the machine is to hold the standby button for at least 15 secs and then try the eject button - that should force open the tray. However if it is your HDD that is knackered then this won't help at all.

Sorry to be the bearing of bad news...

4. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I've now managed to get the tray open by pressing eject with the power off. On closing the tray I can use the unit fine both DVD and HDD!! However when I switch off the unit and on again the same problem occurs. I'll tried a reset to default tonight and it doesn't fix it. I can read and write from the HDD. But it still get stuck in a loop when it is powered up.

Does anyone know how to do a hard reset of the machine?

Cheers,

Ian