1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 and Emtec DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adrianl, Jan 30, 2005.

1. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday picked up a spindle of 50 Emtec DVD-R 1-4x for £17.99 in PC World sale. Usually their prices aren't competitive but they occasionally have good media offers.

Have searched this forum and one guy posted that he'd had 3 coasters out of 11 with this brand on E85!

Does anyone have any other experiences to confirm whether the poster had a bad batch, or that there is a general problem with Emtec discs on E85?

If the former I'll take it back for refund (no coasters up till now burning dozens of Imation DVD-R). If experiences more psoitive I'll pick up some more spindles before sale ends on 1st Feb!

Thanks for advice,

Adrian

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    To be honest one posters bad experiences doesn't really indicate whether you will have trouble or not. For one thing you may have an E85 with a different OEM drive than his. Secondly Emtec is just a label and thus the discs themselves could have come from entirely different sources.

Your best bet is to try one or two and see how they perform. I assume you will be recording to your HDD first so there is no risk of losing recordings - but if you are direct DVD-R recording a good trick is to title the disc prior to recording. That way you get a good idea whether the disc will work before trying to record.

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound advice and thoughts Rasczak. That's a really good tip on titling first too and saving time/grief!

Thanks,

Adrian

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Glad to be of help!

It is a good indicator. I should point out there are some instances where a recording that has been titled will still fail - but in my experience if it titles successfully then it will record without problems 95% of the time.

5. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I bought some of those Emtec discs and have had loads of coasters on my pc DVD writer. They sometimes write ok but if I run a verify, they nearly always fail.

I have only tried 1 or 2 on the E85 and they seemed to have worked but I just don't trust them so I don't use them anymore.

Stuart

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stuart. I think I may get these refunded at PCWorld while still sealed...

7. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As an aside '50 DVD-R for £17.99' isn't a partiicularly good price considering you can get 25 quite decen't DVD-R's for about 6 quid (online at svg), and if you want to go for something expensive and not online, you can get verbatums for about £10 for 25 at somewhere like office world..so not much more

8. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last Emtec DVD-R that I used sent my E85 into a state of apoplexy.. shutting down.. restarting.. shutting down etc. I binned the lot! I have found that Verbatim, Sony, Maxell and TDK (either 4x or 8x) have been the most reliable and out of 200+ now, I've not had one coaster. Verbatim are currently £6.70 + VAT for 25 at Ebuyer.

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I returned the Emtecs. PC World was doing iMation 25 spindles for £9.99 down from £12.99 so I picked up a couple of these instead. I know it's not the cheapest but 40p/disc is still pretty good and I've not had a single problem with several dozen iMation dvd-r.