Panasonic E85 advice/help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Roxanne, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying the e85, but I'm confused about a couple things. If you could help it'd be much appreciated.

- I have some NTSC VHS tapes (about 50) that play fine on my VCR and I would love to put them on DVD. Is this possible with the E85?
    At first I was considering the Toshiba XS32 but I read it wouldn't do this so I switched to the e85 in hopes it would.

- What's the best brand of DVD-Rs to buy for use with the e85? Is it picky, or will any do? I have some Maxell dvd-rs at home already and it'd be great if these will work with the e85.

- It works fine with Sky, right? I'm sure it does but I just want to make sure.

That's it. Thanks a bunch if you can offer any help.

Rox

2. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's likely that your VCR is converting the NTSC signal to PAL60. This is fine to watch on a television set but will not produce a stable picture when hooked up to the E85. So the E85 generally isn't able to record from an NTSC videotape. Some VCRs are able to output pure NTSC or pure PAL, which the E85 is able to record, but true NTSC/PAL converter VCRs are fairly rare.

I stick with Verbatim and Panasonic branded DVD-Rs as I've heard good feedback about these and I haven't had any trouble with them myself. However, there's no reason in theory for your Maxells not to be okay.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Roxanne,

If, as Jesmat suggests, you have a normal VCR that just has NTSC playback, i.e PAL60, then the Panasonic or Toshiba ranges will not do what you want. Look instead at the Pioneer range: Pioneer 420, Pioneer 520 and Pioneer 720 - all are much of the same bar HDD size (and iLink for digital camcorders on the 520/720).

All HDD/DVDRs be they Toshiba, Pioneer or Panasonic work with Sky.