Panasonic E85--3 hour recording--FR or XP?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Baj, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice required please.

3 hour recording to HDD -- 2 hrs. 15 mins. of proggramme -- 45 mins. of adverts.

Wish to dub to DVD-R.

Which is best (two lots of 2 hrs. 15 mins. in FR mode is not an option)?
    1. Record 3 hrs. to HDD in XP mode; edit; dub 2 hrs. 15 mins. to DVD in FR mode.
    2. Record 3 hrs. to HDD in FR mode; edit; dub 2 hrs. 15 mins. to DVD in HS mode.

Thanks in anticipation
    Baj

2. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd use (1) - if you record the whole 3 hours to the HDD in FR it compresses it to fit it to 4.7Gb for DVD-R dubbing. Better to record the whole thing uncompressed, edit, then dub.

3. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a way to overcome that. Since your recording is 2hr 15 min. You set 2 hr 15min in FR. Half way in the recording(eg the ads), you stop the recording. And set another 2hr 15min FR and record it back again. Then after editing out the ads you will do high speed dub to your dvd-r. In that way it will fill the whole disc wothout having to redub the show again and yet fill the whole disc. :thumbsup:

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baj doesn't appear to wish to do that.

Baj, you mention 'FR' so I assume this is on a Panny? Since there is a high percentage of editing required (and since the Panny has only an FR of fixed duration) then in this case it would probably be better to do i) despite the redub. If it was a machine which offered manual quality increments (such as the pio) then ii) would be better since you seem to know beforehand how much to cut out for adverts.

5. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is 2hrs 15 outside the threshold of SP? In other words, if you just recorded in SP for 3hrs, edited out the ads and tried to high speed dub, would the file be too big? Must be pretty close...

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's probably just outside by about 5 mins.

7. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting method, Sweat. But by stopping recording mid-way, and then starting [recording] again, would that not create a new title? Or am I missing something here? It would certainly solve a few probs I have.

8. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i believe that would be so. But then come to think of it, wouldnt that be better? Since there is no time search (only on dvd-ram :( )on the panny nor auto chapters during recording(only during recording on dvd-r or real time dubbing). I can do a seach much faster at the "end" part of the movie if i have 2 titles. And the root menu screen dont look so "blank", more professional. :D

I noticed that the delay time switching to the next title and a full length movie after editing the ads (a continuous title) are almost the same.

9. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does but if you stop at an appropriate point (eg adverts) then choose suitable edit points for trimming (black fades if possible) you can combine the two parts in a playlist and HS dub to DVD which will give a single combined title. I am of course assuming that the panasonic in question is a recent model and can HS dub playlists (the HS2 & E80 generations couldn't).

10. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oar + Sweat, I'll give it a go.

11. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your replies and comments.

My original question was really asking which one of resolution, bit-rate or avoidance of re-encoding is the most important when creating a DVD-R disk on a Panny E85.

Your replies prompt some more questions:

1. Will a programme 2 hrs. 10 mins. long (SP mode) always successfully dub from the HDD to a DVD-R in HS mode?

2. Does it depend on the media brand?

3. How does this affect the longevity of the DVD-R? (I recollect reading on this forum that to ensure disk longevity recordings should be restricted to 1 hr. 30 mins. in length. (but I may be mistaken)).

Regards
    Baj

12. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. From what my experience, quite a number of times is possible to dub 2hr and 10 min on to DVD-R. But this is a bit "tight" as sometimes it might exceed if the movie is "busy" most of the time. 2hr 7min should be fine at all times i believe.

2. Do you mean HS depends on media? If that is your question, it is yes. I did HS on those cheap media and got alot of errors all the time. Doing it on slightly better bedia is better.

3. I think there is no such thinking as the time recorded depends on bit rate. If I am wrong, please correct me.

13. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't heard that one. :confused:

14. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I'd go along with that: 2hr 7min should be pretty 'safe' regardless of how "busy" the movie is.

15. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for help and info.