1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by okcomputer331, Dec 30, 2004.

1. okcomputer331

okcomputer331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having returned my faulty Sony gx300 (twice :nono: ) , I have decided that I might go and splash out on a DVD recorder with HDD.
    I'm recording from Sky + and I like the idea of recording to the HDD and then dubbing to DVD-r when ready (ie after i have recorded a few episodes, etc)

1) Is there a "pause-record" button on the panny like on the sony, ie,
    I do all my recording as I'm watching the programmes so if you are recording ice skating for example and you don't want to bother recording the skaters you don't like, can you pause-record until one of your favourite skaters come on and then resume recording?? I know u can edit on the HDD afterwards anyway but I like to do these things on the fly aswell. (sorry about the ice skating analogy , it was on telly at the time, hence best example i could think of)

2) Can you record directly to a DVD-r disc (or DVD-ram) and bypass the harddrive completely? I would imagine this would be useful if you were running out of space on the HDD and you knew the recording was to go to a DVD disc.

For the record i would consider the Toshiba or Pioneer equivalents but they can't be found in Ireland and none of your UK online stores deliver to Ireland :( except Amazon (which only has the panny in stock)

2. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) YES
    2) YES

Highly recommend the E85 -- an awesome machine.

3. okcomputer331

okcomputer331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent ! :)

looks like it was a blessing in disguise that my sony was broken

4. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having just got the Sony GXD500 I can say without a shadow of doubt that the Panasonic series of DVD recorders are leagues ahead of the Sony's when it comes to operations such as editting. I have the Panasonic HS2 (the first HDD/DVDR) and still love it.

5. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am considering an E85 and doing exactly what you want to do. But I've just read a new thread posted today about copying problems from Sky+ to the Panasonic HD, due apparently to encryption problems. Have you experienced any of these?
    Cheers
    Mike

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Have had the Pan 85 for over 6 months now and it's still fantastic. Well worth £400 you can pick it up for now. Never have a problem with the hdd running out of space as it's so easy to edit and copy to cheap dvd-r's, (20-25p each when bought 25 or more at a time).

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You may get issues if the recording is Macrovision protected i.e. some film channels i.e. Movies. Otherwise should be no problem.

Like Rob, I have had mine for over six months and am well pleased with it.

8. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just picked up an E85 today to replace a IMHO very poor Sony rdr-gx7. The E85 is just leagues ahead in every dept. The recording flexibility is awesome and the playback of commercial dvd's is far better. I found the Sony very grainy and soft in this area.

I'm a very happy camper.