Panasonic E65 vs Sony GX700

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bryan24, Jan 8, 2005.

1. bryan24

bryan24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I am currently looking to buy my first DVD recorder, and after some research have narrowed down my choice to the Panasonic E65 or the Sony GX700. I'm still coming to grips with the advantages and disadvantages of the various formats, and now find myself having to make a choice between the multi-format Sony, and the DVD-RAM offered by Panasonic. In recent magazine reviews both recorders get very good marks, however, I would appreciate any advice owners of these recorders could give regarding their performance. Also, have I missed any other decent makes, and what are the benefits of multiregion versions?

Briefly, my requirements (in no particular order) are:
    1. To archive digital video camcorder tapes (hence need a DV-in connection);
    2. To record TV (i.e. to replace my trusty VHS recorder); and
    3. To play DVD's

I would be grateful for any advice that experienced members could give.

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The E65 is considerably better at 1 and 2 than the GX700. DV recording is similar on each although if dub to DVD-RAM on the Panasonic you get much better editting than if you dub to DVD-RW VR on the Sony. If your dubbing to DVD-R the process is similar. But in both 1 and 2 the E65 is the better machine due to the superior MPEG encoding (upto 3hrs at full resolution as opposed to just 2 on the Sony).

The Sony does have a slight advantage here - although as always it's subjective.

3. bryan24

bryan24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that advice,

having read some of the other posts I'm now wondering whether I should be saving up for the Panasonic DMRE95 - which has all the connections I need, but has the advantage of a HD. Quite a lot more money - is this really worth the extra??

4. Freddie

Freddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lasty week I bought the panasonic, for very similar reasons to yourself, and I am very pleased with it.
    I use ram discs for day to day tv recording and have found the ability to play the start of a program whilst recording the end very useful, this in conjuction with the flexible record setting, which alters record quality mode to allow whatever your recording to fit into the remaining space on a disc.
    I also use the ram discs to trial permenant recordings before commiting to dvd-r.

I've made copies of home dvd's and vhs's, playing them in through the 'av2 in' scart with good clear results. Also the 'dv in' from my camcorder seems good from the couple of tests I've done.

If there is a downside I suppose it's the fact that it's a bit more complicated to operate than a vhs, but after a week I feel competant to perform almost all tasks and only have to refer to the manual for the less frequent commands. Another result of this is that I might have to upgrade my remote as there are too many commands required for my current one, but I guess that would apply to any dvd recorder.

Hope this helps, Fred

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    To answer the HDD question you should ask yourself if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players. If yes then go for the E95, if no buy the E65. Have a look here for the reasoning behind it.