1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E65 DVD+R DL Hero

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ryu, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Tried to play a back-up version of UK R2 Hero recorded on a Traxdata DVD+R DL disc, but when I try to play it on my Panasonic DVD Recorder E65, it just loops round on the mneu svreen.

Recorded with DVD Decrypter then burnt with Nero Reloadad bit set to DVD-ROM.

Is the Panasonic picky??? Any one else had same problem?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No. The Panasonic models I have tried will play DVD+R DL fine provided you set it to DVD-ROM booktype. You might want to try Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. What burner/firmware are you using?

3. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm using an NEC 2510 with the latest official firmware 2.17.

Used DVD Decrypter to rip the dsc.

Used Nero Reloaded 6.6.0.8 to burn the disc.

The DVD+R DL plays fine in my ancient Pioneer DV 525 (1998!)

Freezes in my PS2 and loops on the menu screen on the Panny E65 (yet it plays the crappy trailers perfectly!)

I guess it could be the Traxdata media but this has disheartened me somewhat - it was my first DL burn :rolleyes:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Don't worry - my first four DVD+R DL discs (all Verbatim/Traxdata) turned out to be coasters (at £8 each!).

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Did you do this in ISO mode?

6. Minx

Minx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you use Nero to burn? It has serious issues with making compatible layer breaks, unless it's fixed in the latest version which I doubt.

You should rip to .iso with DVD decrypter, then burn it with DVD decrypter too. Be also sure that your NEC is set to burn DVD+R DL with DVD-ROM book type and if it still doesn't work scrap the Ritek/Traxdata DL discs and buy some Mitsubishi/Verbatim discs instead.

7. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try and rip to .iso this evening, then burn in decrypter.

Should I always be ripping to .iso then? Even when using single layer discs?

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you are just doing a straight copy, and want maximum playback compatibility, yes. However it is the burning which is more critical, and you should certainly be burning +R DL in DVD Decrypter's ISO mode (even when you have re-authored a disc). As Minx says, you also need that +R DL -> DVD-ROM booktype set on your drive.

Notwithstanding Rasczak's experience, you will generally find DVD recorders are less able to play +R DL than dedicated DVD players. Sometimes a recorder will play the menus and first layer fine, but run into problems with the second. From the figures I've seen, the reflectivity of current +R DL dyes, even those of Mitsubishi, are right on the ~18% limits for the recordable DVD 'standard'.

9. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Dual layer DVD+R play fine in my Sony GX500, Panasonic DMRHS2 and Philips DVDR80. All authored on LG4120 with DVD-Rom book type set.

10. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Musukebba, I had set the book type to DVD-ROM but I haven't been ripping to .iso

From now on it's .iso all the way! To be honest on single layers I had no probs, why is .iso the best?

Also you're right regarding the player vs recorder compatibility. I would never have imagined my ancient '98 Pioneer DV 525 would have played flawlessly but my fairly new Panasonsonic E65 would have problems!

11. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I could list many reasons why taking a disc image (ie reading in ISO mode) is better, one of them being that it's an exact bit-for-bit copy of the whole disc, which therefore replicates the 'compatibility'. However there are other confounding factors to take account of in the whole process, such as the differences between ISO write on different programs. However a consistent empiric finding in that which I have experienced, and read about, is that DVD Decrypter's ISO read and write modes are the best for making compatible discs. If you are simply doing a straight copy then it's just more convenient to read as an image, then immediately burn that image to a blank disc. That way, nothing gets changed.

If Nero works for you (as it does for me) with single layer discs, then there's no reason why you shouldn't continue. It's just more critical how you read and, especially, how you write, to DL media.

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    To quote the stages and applications used in the process would have been additionally useful.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    This has been my experience as well: DVD+R DL plays in just about everything provided it has been recorded with DVD-ROM booktype set. I use a number of Verbatim DVD+R DL recorded on two different drives with every DVD recorder that comes through my labs - the only machines that have refused to play it so far are the Sony GX3 (the GX7, GX300/500/700 are fine), Toshiba RDXS32 and Toshiba DR3 (both of which are well known for being fussy with media - the RDXS30 plays them fine).

I have also noted incompatibility with some elderly drives: the old (popular) Creative drives for example and Toshiba 1612D (but not E).

Generally playback of the discs (all authored with TMPG Encoder Author, burnt with the TMPG Enc Burning Tool on a LG4120/LG4163/Pioneer A09) is fine with no hickups either reading menus or playback of content (including FF/FR).

To be fair Pioneer are one of the market leaders in optical drive production - the fact that their DVD-ROMs/DVD-RWs read practically anything is a testiment to how good they are in that line of business. Their machines also have a well earnt reputation for playing titles/discs that don't entirely conform to the relevant specifications which makes them even more 'tollerant' of failings within the authoing process.

Accordingly Ryu I would suggest you:

a) change your media to one of the major brands that you know will have been tested with your drive, e.g. Verbatim

b) ensure you running the latest firmware for your drive (this is a good place to look for that)

c) look at the process you are ripping/burning the discs as discussed by musukebba

14. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ok, thanks for the advice everyone, I reburnt through DVD Decrypter using the read and write to 'ISO' option instead of 'File' and it looks like musukebba was right, that has solved the problem. The book type was set to DVD-Rom all along but it was ripping to ISO that seems to have done the trick for my Panny E65. I have to say though in conclusion that it speaks volumes for Pioneer that a 7 year DVD player that was made when DVD/-/+/DL was just a twinkle in somebodys eye managed to play no matter what process was thrown at it.

Once again thanks. :thumbsup: