Panasonic E55S or SKY+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wsb_champ, Feb 23, 2005.

1. wsb_champ

wsb_champ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently subscribe to Sky (premium channels) and due to space, in need to retire the VCR. The VCR is only used to record whilst out, the programmed is then watched and then recorded over.
    DVD recorder or Sky plus - Which one?

one thing thats got me guessing is 5.1 on sky, how many programs are broadcast in this? Is it just the movie channels?

If i go Sky+ i will most likely get one of ebay, plus a LNB and cable and install myself.

thanks for opinions/advice on the above.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    I have both.
    But.............since I replaced my Sky digibox with Sky+ about 6 weeks ago I have hardly used my Toshiba DVDR which I've had for about a year.
    The EPG and recording facilities of Sky+ are very user friendly and well thought out and my DVDR is almost redundant......well occaisonally I'll archive a favourite film to it from Sky+.
    This really crept up on me and took me by surprise. :clap:

3. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto.

Unless you actually want long term archive then bin the VCR and get a Sky+. It's very easy to use - much easier than a DVDR and much more responsive - and with the facility to record two channels while you watch a recording and the facility to pause and rewind live TV without having to think about it - plus all the other bits - is way out ahead.

DVDR's are fun but having bought a Panasonic E55 I just wish I had held out and got one with a Hard Disk. If you are going to go the DVDR route it really helps to have the HD there to edit the original before burning to long term storage.

Funds allowing - go and order Sky+ now.

Roger

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sky+ first, then a HDD/DVD recorder.

Sky+ really is as good as the ads say. You never need to surf around again, there is always something you want to watch on the HDD. You don't watch mroe telly, just less c£$p.

As Roger says though, if you go for both get a HDD/DVDR as the overnight Sky+ copy outs can then have the Sky+ padding (& ads if you need to/want to) edited out before burning a DVD.

Enjoy, :) NS

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    As the others have said - Sky+ is an excellent piece of kit and well worth the investment. Most users here have Sky+ and a HDD/DVDR combi because that is ultimately the best all-round recording solution.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed.But don't try and save money by installing the Sky+ yourself.At the moment Sky+ is very prone to problems like failed recordings etc.If Sky do not install it you will be charged £65 for them to call out,even if the box is new and you only installed it yesterday.
    If you must buy the box,make sure Sky install it as you will get peace of mind.I have the new 160 model and have a 40Gb version for sale.How much you offering?

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I have Sky+ and a Panasonic E85 and agree with the others above. Sky+ is very very good and the hard disk in the E85 means I can copy a huge chunk of programs from the Sky+ box overnight and then edit them on the Panny - splitting them into individual programs. I would also advise getting Sky +installed by a professional !