1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DAS, Feb 26, 2005.

1. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to DVD recorders and am thinking of getting the E55, but am a little confused by the idea of multi-region. I assumed that any player with this feature could play any DVD immediately, but now I see threads saying it needs to be chipped or coded via remote. How do I know if this needs to be done without buying a DVD from another region? If the retailer says it is multi-region, does that mean it has been preset?

Thanks

David

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Any retailer advertising it as multi-region will have already done the multi-region conversion for you.
    You won't have to do anything afterwards.... it will simply play a disc from any region.

If its not advertised as multi-region, you'll have a job modifying it afterwards because the special remote control they use to do it is very expensive.

IMO, you'd be daft not to buy a pre-modded unit as the added cost at the time of purchase is pretty negligible. Modifying it yourself afterwards could be expensive and detrimental to your warranty.

3. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

4. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Depends what you mean by expensive. I agree that it's certainly best to buy the machine region-free but the chipped remote to do the job yourself only costs £23.50 inclusive from DVDChips -- see here:

http://www.shoyle.f9.co.uk/dvdchipsuk/nosoldere50.htm

I'm only posting this so that people who've already got region-locked machines don't get the wrong impression about costs. Usual disclaimers.