1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 Widescreen on 4:3 telly

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Withnail, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I've got a Panasonic E55 and have ran in to the problem of my recordings not displaying right on my upstairs 4:3 telly.
    To get around this I have set Sky to 4:3L letterbox. I then record as normal and when I watch on my widescreen (tv set to auto) the picture pops out to widescreen. When I watch on the 4:3 the picture appears as letterbox.

I've been reading around and haven't heard anyone mention this and was wondering if (as a noob) I'm missing something.

I had noticed that my 4:3L recordings have a tiny black border accross the top of the picture which is not present on my 16:9 recordings but other than that the picture looks fine.

By recording 4:3L from sky am I loosing quality?
    cheers

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I can't swear to it, but I think when Sky is displayed as 4.3LB the picture is zoomed in (on the tv with Sky connected anyway) , so you do lose picture quality that way, but I don't know how the picture is displayed on a 4.3 tv.

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    By setting your sky box to 4x3, you're chopping off the sides of any 16x9 stuff theyre broadcasting.

Try setting sky back to 16x9, then in the E55 menu there should be a setting for a 4x3 tv.

4. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I think unfortunately the e55 doesn't record the widescreen signal on dvd-r. Which is a shame because any recordings I want to watch on my 4:3 telly are squashed up.
    I've just used TMGPE to copy a dvd ram recording (does record the widescreen signal) to dvd-r and that does the trick. But its a hassle.
    Anyone know an easier way?
    Maybe a firmware update or another work around?
    ta
    wn

5. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    Your E55 will record whatever is put into it - have you checked that your Sky box is set to widescreen?

6. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, SKY is set to widescreen and the e55 records amorphically (I think, or something like that) so the picture is squashed up horizontally (thin faced people).
    When recording on DVDRAM the widescreen flag is recorded and the resultant recording pops out o a WS telly and letterboxes on a 4:3.
    Sadly, when recording DVD-R the WS flag is not recorded ( :mad: why? Its madness). This means that the picture remains squashed up. This is no problem on a WS telly because you just switch to 16:9 but, on a 4:3 telly there is no way to correct the picture.
    SO, I have to record everything on to DVD-RAM and copy to DVD-R on my PC :boring:
    Since I was planing to record stuff for freinds and family from time to time, who have 4:3 tellies this is very dissapointing.
    It is an extremely irritating ommision on Panasonics part as the machine itself is great - quiet, easy to use , picture is great. I really rate the unit apart from this.
    but this has left me wondering wether to return it.

I'm in two minds.
    Anyway, ta for your help :smashin:

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The reason I think the ws flag is removed is to prevent any 'problems' that may occur when playing the DVD-R on other players if it has several titles with multiple aspect ratios.

It also simplifies things liek the 'Divide' feature.

Although the DVD spec does allow for each title on a DVD to have a different AR there may be problems with ad breaks within a 4:3 title that switches to 16:9.

8. Withnail

Withnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That explains it a bit more - I thought there had to be a reason for its ommision.
    I just wonder how other DVD recorders manage with it.
    Whats the divide feature?

Thanks for the info Kevo :thumbsup:

I think in reality I'll be able to live with this characteristic

9. guylj

guylj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the Divide Program feature was not provided on the E55 although it is definitely present on the E50 and also on HDD models like the E85. It just allows you to split a program into two seperate programs. There is no "Undo" divide so care is needed. The E55 manual should say somewhere that WS recording is only enabled on DVD-RAM not DVD-R although it doesn't give any reason why.