Panasonic E55 - RGB problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xenole, Jan 2, 2005.

1. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought myself a E55 a few days ago and nice piece of kit for the most part.

The major problem I'm having is with regards to RGB.

I press the Functions button, Setup, Connections, and change the AV1 settings to RGB (without component) from the default Video setting which is fine I think - someone said video is poorer quality, with more jagged edges etc.

Initially, after changing to RGB, I noticed no difference except for a near transparent image moving across the screen all the time. This was noticable all the time and turned out to be the image on screen moved 2-3 inches down and scrolling left to right.

Bought a better quality scart lead and haven't seen this problem since.

Now, my setup.
    NTL Digibox (Pace something or other) - top scart is connected to the dvd recorder.
    Bottom scart socket connected to AV2 on the tv.
    Toshiba DVD player connected to AV1 on the Sony Wega WS TV.
    (dvd recorder records from digibox on A1 according to it's screen; digibox already set to RGB)

Now, the latest problems I'm getting from the dvd recorder being in RGB mode are:
    Whenever I change channel on the digibox, there is some sort of audio feedback for a fraction of a second (click type noise).
    Also, the picture looks as though someone is holding a photo in front of you and waving it about a little - i.e. it wobbles from side to side, with the feeling of in and out too. This is very noticable on all channels.

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Your NTL box is only going to have one RGB output Scart (the other is video only) so you need to put the E55 between the Digibox and the TV, e.g.

NTL TV Out >>>>> AV2 (E55) AV1 >>>>> TV RGB Input

Ensure AV1 and AV2 are both set to 'RGB' and connection is set to 'Normal'.

3. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right,

In the dvd recorder,
    AV1 output is set to RGB
    AV2 settings ---> AV2 input: RGB; AV2 connection: Normal

NTL Box:
    Top scart socket (Video out) is going directly to the bottom dvd recorder scart, AV2 (Decoder/EXT)

DVD Recorder:
    AV1 (TV) is got directly to AV2 on the tv.

It's got rid of the feedback thing :)

I notice the manual says put the unit into A2 mode to view satellite programmes - the problem is that A1 lets me watch and hear sound, whilst A2 gives a black screen with audio.

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AV1 on your TV is normally the RGB scart, so put AV1 from the DVD recorder into AV1 on your TV. Your TV may have two RGB scarts - check in the manual - in which case AV2 might be OK.

As for A2 giving you a black screen with audio - this usually means that it is not getting an RGB picture from your NTL box. You need to make sure you are using TV OUT and not VIDEO OUT on your NTL box. Also have you gone into the settings in your NTL box and made sure it's set to output RGB?

5. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The NTL box has been on RGB since I got it.
    Do beleive though that I do have the scart plugged into Video Out :( Will swop it when my writing finishes later and see if that helps....