Panasonic E55 Recording Resolution?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisconnew, Jul 19, 2004.

1. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Getting used to using my Panasonic E55 at the moment but i've run into another problem. I've been recording onto RAM disc at SP mode to get 2 1Hour episodes on each disc but once i've finished making the disc in TMPGEnc DVD Author and then set the aspect ratios in IFOEdit i'm seeing the resolution listed as 352x576 when i'd recorded the video in SP mode.

I thought the modes were XP, SP, LP, EP and FR were 704x576 for XP and SP, and then 352x576 for LP and EP. I'm not sure about the resolution of FR recordings - is it always 704x576 or does it vary between the two?

I've tried to have a search for the full details but can't seem to find what i'm looking for anywhere.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    FR resolution will vary depending on the length of the recording planned.
    The resolution can swap from one to the other even at sp if the recording is particularly busy, as it overall produces a better picture. However some players can't handle the change.
    If you want to extract to a computer for editing it is important to fix the resolution in the options by turning of vbr? This keeps it at one or the other depending on the original programmed recording length at the expense of some blockiness in busy scenes if running at the higher resolution. I understand it switches at around FR of 2hr 15 mins when set as fixed.

3. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i'll have to check the VBR setting as i had thought i had already turned it off - as the strange thing is that all my SP recordings at the moment (of series 2 of spooks) are ending up as 352x576 resolution recordings. I think i'll have to test to find out where the FR recording drop appears - but it woudl be nice to find something definitive.

Back to the drawing board...

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Your DVD recorder uses a true Variable Bitrate which not only alters the amount of data used on each frame but also the resolution. This occurs whatever recording mode you use.

When you import you clip into TMPGEnc DVD Author it looks at the first few frames of the first frame of the video clip. Hence the reason why it is stating your recording is in low resolution. If it detects a mix of resolutions then it will actually give you an error message and will not import.

Accordingly if you goto to Functions/Setup you can switch resolution switching off by setting 'Hybrid VBR Resolution' to 'FIXED'. This will lock the resolution to full (704x576) for XP, SP and all FR modes upto around 180mins. LP, EP and FR settings over 180mins will always be low resolution.

This used to be the case - the 2hr 20min was the maximum full resolution on the E30/HS2 generation. Panasonic are several generations later now though and have pushed the resolution drop back to almost three hours (as have Thompson). It should be noted that LG have pushed it back to FOUR hours!

Personally though I rarely archive more 90mins to a single layer DVD-R if it can be helped.