1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 recording modes !?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fusioncold, Nov 12, 2004.

1. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!

I've had my Panasonic for a day and have been trying lots of recording modes with a dvd-r. :D

I find that XP and SP are great for most things, but even these modes seem to have problems with fast action (eg the early fight scene in Gangs of New York) where objects have extensive 'jpeg-like' :mad: artifacts around them but I suppose that this is normal for the technology(?) At the other end of the scale, I find that the 8hour (EP?) mode copes really well with day to day recording and is a nice replacement for LP on a vhs recorder. (It's a bit redundant with Sky+ though)

My main reason for posting is that I was wondering if anybody can explain the vbr option in the functions menu please? I know what it means, in principle, but which setting should I use and why? Also, if I want to record a show that's 1.5 hours long, am I better off recording in sp or fr mode? I assume that fr mode is more efficient? One other question-I read that DVD-RAM produces better quality recordings in some instances...is this right!?

Any advice on suitable recording 'strategies' would be very much appreciated.

By the way, I expect to be recording pretty much eveything from my Sky+ hard disk. Not sure if this has any bearing on the recording modes...

Thanks very much!

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you're taping anything under 2hrs, I'd say use FR.
    The VBR, when set to fixed, sets the resolution to one rate for each recording.
    When set to Auto, it adjusts the resolution according to how much action is on the screen, so the resolution can go up and down, as far as I know. If I'm not quite right, there are better informed people on here who will put you (and me!) straight.
    I set mine to fixed early on, so I can't really say which is the best option for you.
    Hope this helps.

3. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mray.

I've been looking through the manual and it seems to suggest that VBR:Automatic works with DVD-RAMs only. Does this mean that it reverts to fixed for DVD-R's. It seems that Auto would be the best setting...does anybody have any experience of this setting?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It works on both, you should leave it set to automatic, unless you plan to use a pc to edit the program later as many programs can't cope with the change in vbr, and it needs to be fixed. Some early dvd players also require it to be fixed to play back the -r media reliably, but I haven't come across one personally.

5. rjmb

rjmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to take delivery of Panasonic DMRE55EBS recorder (and TV (package deal)).

One of my main reasons for the recorder is to record films on to DVD-R as permanent copies. Seeing as many films are over 2 hrs, FR mode seems a good feature if u want a higher picture quality than the 4hr long play mode.

Q1. Does FR mode work in conjunction with normal leave alone timer recordings or videoplus recordings?The fact that recording duration has to be set manually seems to suggest not.

Q2. Does timeslip/chasing play back work in FR mode(when using dvd-ram)?

Q3. Will a fr mode 2.5 hr recording on DVD-R play back in DVD-R players?

any help very gratefully recieved!