Panasonic E55 recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by K-BOXER2, Nov 4, 2004.

1. K-BOXER2

K-BOXER2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have just ordered one of these just wondering if anyone can reccomend the best media dvd-rs and dvd ram for this player. Also will it record on cartridge dvd ram or uncased dvd ram thankfull for any advice cheers :thumbsup:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Both - which one you should buy and use depends on your planned uses. Have a look at this thread for more info on that.

For DVD-RAMs I recommend Panasonic or Maxell brands. If you consult the above thread there is brief discussion on which DVD-RAMs to get as well where to get them.

As for DVD-Rs - I suggest sticking with branded media. The likes of Maxell, JVC, HP, Pioneer, Packard Bell, Panasonic, Sony, TDK, Verbatim all tend to be good as well as fairly cheap. Some good (IMHO) suppliers are:
    SVP
    DVD & Media
    Digital Promotions
    [URL="http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/default.aspx]Panasonic E-Shop[/URL]
    I'm sure others can suggest more...

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I find the cheap classic grey datawrite DVD-R's (try www.bigpockets.co.uk) function exactly the same as TDK DVD-R which i was infuriated cost about ten times the price on the high street. I find them to be 100% compatible with my Sony RDR-GX3 and haven't had a single prblem with them, can't see the point in spending more to be honest.

4. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Regarding DVD-RMA's I have used all makes from Panasonic in-cartridge and out of cartridge versions as well as cheaper ones supplied by SVP (who by the way have 10 x DVD-RAM for £14.99 at the moment).

All have worked pefectly for the two years I have had the E30. Even when I have had marks or fingerprints the DVD-RAM have worked fine. So I guess that the specification for DVD-RAM is so tight that you willl not get the variation seen on DVD-R's that cause the U11 disk fail problem?

5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Got to agree with Dean. I'm wrking my way through 100 Datawrite Yellow DVD-Rs and so far every one has been faultless. When I bought them 100 cost me about the same as buying 15 branded discs in PC World would have. I use www.svp.co.uk who also have an excellent range of disc storage items. If you register with them they'll send you and email when their next 99p shipping offer is on.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    and
    Guys, the recommendation to use branded media is only partially concerned with how many failed burns or how compatible they end up being. The core concern is longevity. Over the last 3 years I have been burnt numerous times by cheap disks failing - thankfully I have never lost data due to a robust backup policy - but I would have done had I only made a single copy.

Cheap media is normally cheap because it is sourced from China - nothing wrong with that - but the quality control and dye used isn't necessarily of the same callibre as the materials used in the major European and Japanese production facilties (where most of the branded media comes from). Now I'm not saying that your media isn't coming from the same sources - but from what I've seen if it is cheap and cheerful it probably isn't.

The bottomline is if you have a media type you are happy with then use it. Just ensure you make adequate backups to avoid dataloss - and that rule applies whether you are using branded media or not.