1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 Progressive and Multi-region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richdutton, Aug 2, 2004.

1. richdutton

richdutton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm considering buying an E55 but cannot find out whether it does NTSC progressive scan as well as the advertised PAL progressive scan. Does anyone on here know. Also, I know a couple of places will make it multi-region with a "special remote control". Can I do this with a Kameleon, and does anyone know the code?

Many thanks

Rich Dutton

2. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bearing in mind that I know absolutely nothing myself(!) here's a quote from the manual of my new E55 - it might help you decide if it does what you want. It refers to the Transfer section of the Picture menu, when progressive output is turned on:

"When the output signal is NTSC: Auto1 (normal): detects 24 frame-per-second film content and appropriately converts it. Auto2: Compatible with 30 frame-per-second film content in addition to 24 fps film content. Video: Select when using Auto1 and Auto2, and the video content is distorted."

There is a separate section referring to the options for PAL (which refers to 25 frames per second only) so hopefully that looks promising?

Maybe it's only a clue rather than an answer. Can't help with the multi-region part I'm afraid (just a beginner!)

Helen

3. richdutton

richdutton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, thanks a lot. I've just found this on Panasonic Australia too:

http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/details.cfm?pcode=DMR-E55&pdiv=DVDREC&cat=5_1

"Progressive Scan (PAL/NTSC)
    The Panasonic DVD Recorder is equipped with a high-precision progressive video processor that handles 25-frame (NTSC: 30-frame) progressive scan images (To enjoy a progressive scan picture, a TV with progressive scan capabilities must be used)."

Looks promising.

Anyone on multi-region?