1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PANASONIC E55 PAL or MULTI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeNolan, Dec 14, 2004.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just purchased a Panasonic E55 from Argos on the basis of a review which stated it could play NTSC. However, the booklet/machine clearly states Region 2 only. Under the returns policy, I can return the equipment un-used.

My questions are

1) Does it automatically play Region 1 discs or will it have to be chipped etc? I know there are numerous places that sell the machines as multi-region. Have they been worked on.

2) If I put in a pin number and address details, can these be removed if I take the machine back, or can I simply by-pass this setup requirement?

Thanks

Mike

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Emjel

I have the same problem with the jvc drm 10 it is region 2, which is useless , what these places do is have patches which you cant find on the net however much you look and do it for you. Some like mine you they can do it by just inserting the patch via a cd r disk and updating the software. Others you will need electronic changes inside the unit. Do a search of the net you might find a patch software for this model. If not take it back and demand them to make it multiregion for you. I did.!!

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    To upgrade the E55 to multi-region requires you to use a special remote. You can hire these for about £20 (not sure of the price), do a google.

Once you put the pin in it and the address cannot be altered (unless you no the pin) but you can bypass it.

4. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you bypass the PIN or is it just the address? Obviously, if I decide to take the machine back for a refund (so that I can buy a multi-region unit), I, and I assume the follow on purchaser, would not want my details.

Mike

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I bought my E85 from John Lewis as part of a package deal with a plasma. I ‘bought’ a remote from www.dvdchips.co.uk and it worked perfectly first time.

It costs around £25 from which you hire the remote and you’re given 3 weeks to return the remote once you’ve finished with it.

I know have no problems playing my R1 and R3 disks! Thoroughly recommended :thumbsup:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The multi-region version of the DMR-E55 costs about another £20 from most places, but you can hire a pre-programmed remote that will make your exisiting E55 multi-region for £19.99 from DVD Codes Note that NTSC and Multi-region cabability are not one and the same. You can get NTSC discs which are not region coded, and will play on your E55.