Panasonic E55 or Pioneer DVR220 ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sgt Steiner, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Sgt Steiner

Sgt Steiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

Brand new to this forum and about to make my first DVD recorder purchase and looking some advice :)
    After much wailing and some nashing of teeth I have narrowed down my choice to the Panasonic E55 or the Pioneer DVR220.
    The E55 is widely reviewed and uniformly praised and my brother (Barzo) had one prior to his Tosh X32 and praises its ease of use and excellent recording quality.
    Am enquiring if anyone has a DVR220 or knows of any decent online/mag review in particular with regard to recording quality (as I am especiialy interested in VHS archiving).
    Note neither player would be used as primary DVD playback unit as my Panasonic S75 is being retained for that purpose.
    Pioneer seems to have edge in features and the RW format would suit my PC DVD-drive but S75 obviously being RAM capable is bonus for E55.
    My bro relates that whilst the S75 does not officially support the DVD-RW format word has it that the player does actually play such discs ?

Whilst I realise that opinions will possibly be subjective/divided I still seek same......................

Wow that was a rather long winded opening post :D

Cheers

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The Pioneer has significantly less features than the Panasonic which has DVD-Audio (2 Channel), 3hr full resolution recording (as opposed to 2hr 20min), component output and progressive scan (PAL and NTSC). You can also buy it for £20 cheaper than the Pioneer. Have a look on Pricerunner - Panasonic E55 and Pioneer 220.

The core advantage of the Pioneer 220 however is it offers DVD-RW Video recording which may outweigh the above if you want to play your daily recordings in other DVD players around the house (for archiving/irregular recordings you could use DVD-R). As you have a Panasonic S75 though this has limited benefit though.

Yes - the S75 will play DVD-RW Video or VR disks as well as DVD-RAM so you don't have a problem there whatever machine you get.

That's a fair point - but bear in mind you can get a new DVD-ROM drive and a Panasonic E55 for the same price as a Pioneer 220 if you shop around.
    Just for your reference (should you opt for the E55) here are some RAM compatible DVD-ROMS:
    - LG GDR-8163B
    - LG GDR-8083N (Laptop Drive)
    - Panasonic SR-8589-B (the earlier SR-8588-B also support RAM)
    - Samsung/Toshiba SD-M1912
    - Toshiba SD-M1712 (the earlier SD-M1612 and M1711 also support RAM)
    - Toshiba SD-C2512 (Laptop Drive)
    Always check your current drive though as many OEM PC drives are sourced from the major RAM supproting companies (Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba) without the user actually knowing.

3. Sgt Steiner

Sgt Steiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm more food for thought.

The features I was thinking off on the Pioneer were the image enchancements (gamma/chroma stuff) mentioned in manual.

DVD Audio etc not an issue as the S75 supports these and the Pioneer allows some PCM Audio recording.

Strangely the height of Pio vs Panny is a bonus for me :D

Ref DVD RW drive for PC mine is a newish NEX2500A +/- RW drive so no idea ref RAM usage.

Thanks for your input...........I will have to give this yet more thought :zonked:

Cheers

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    If LPCM recording is an issue then definetly go for the Pioneer (it is only supported on the Panasonics from E65 and above). Your DVD-RW drive is not RAM compatible but have a look at your DVD-ROM (assumming you have a second drive). The big thing with the Panny over the Pioneer is the component output because it allows you to watch Sky (etc) in progressive scan. If that's a non-issue to you and you want LPCM then go for the Pioneer 220.

5. Sgt Steiner

Sgt Steiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rasczak

Pardon my ignorance of these things but is Progressive Scan an issue if I have on a non-prog/scan TV (mine is Tosh 28WDB 'fat-screen' with only one of its 3 Scart slots RBG enabled)) ?
    My Sky is older Didgibox not Sky + if this makes a difference (I know it only has RGB or Composite Video no S-Video outs).

PCM recording is not a high priority just a feature of Pioneer, that plus it has a Manual recording mode for bitrate choice but not sure if I would use this much as both players have a form of optimum record level I believe.

I do have a DVD Rom in addition to DVD RW drive its a rather venerable Pioneer 103 which I suspect would not be Ram compatible.

I am really torn between these 2 players..............decisions decisions

Cheers and thanks for your help again (makes a change from my bothering my brother incessantly :) )

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rascak, I know that the new Pannys have improved MPEG encoding over the old but I’m still surprised that they can do D1 up to a full 3 hours. Have you or anybody else verified this?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    No - you won;t be able to benefit until you upgrade your TV. However odds are the next TV you buy will have components/progressive scan (it certainly will if you seek my advice before buying ;) ).

Yes - both have a fit to disk type option allowing you to set the bitrate you want.

No - that won't be DVD-RAM compatible.

I have done a test recording from Sky on a E55 and the recorder did indeed go upto the 3hr mark at full resolution. And if you don't believe me it was mentioned briefly in the Home Cinema Choice (September) issue in the Toshiba RDXS32 review where a comment was made "..or the three hour full-res modes of Thompson or Panasonic"

It's really not that surprising though - as stated above the new Thompson recorders can also do upto three hours as well and the LG model can do upto FOUR hours. I should imagine the next generation Toshiba and Pioneer models will close the gap.

What you do need to consider is the significance. On a HDD/DVDR combo I would suggest it isn't that significant because you will rarely want to put that much content on a single disk. However on a standalone it could be much more useful.