Panasonic E55 or Pioneer DVR 220

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by derwill, Jul 12, 2004.

1. derwill

derwill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease: I am considering buying a DVD recorder and have narrowed my searches down to the two listed above. Can I have some user feedback on both and also any possible recommendation as to which one to get?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    As you would expect there are pros and cons of each machine.

The Panasonic is the superior machine. It offers:
    - DVD-Audio (2 Channel Only) playback
    - Component Ouput
    - Progressive Scan
    ...on top of what the Pioneer offers.

The Panasonic records to DVD-RAM - a highly durable, reliable but incompatible DVD format that offers features such as Timeslip, chasing playback, editting etc. The Panasonic will also records to write-once DVD-R media that will playback in virtually all DVD players but lacks the features of DVD-RAM.

The Pioneer records to DVD-RW: you can record to this either in Video mode or VR mode. If you use VR mode you will have all the features of DVD-RAM but the disks will not play on other DVD players. If you use DVD-RW Video mode the disks WILL play on other DVD players.

Effectively then you have to make the same choice as on the Panny E55 - record to media that offers features or onto highly compatible media. The difference is that the Pioneer lets you make that choice on re-writeable media. (The Pioneer also records to DVD-R)

Both machines are feature packed and would serve you well: therefore I suggest you weigh the features of the Panasonic against any advantage you would get from making compatible recordings on re-writeable media which is offered by the Pioneer. Or you could just get the cheapest...