1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 or E65 for use with camcorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Calvados, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was going to get an E55 to compliment my Panny plasma but not sure whether I should fork out the extra for the E65.

I'll be looking to edit and record from my Sony camcorder - are both DVDRs more than capable of working with this?

thanks in advance

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Both machines will work well with your Plasma and Sony camcorder. The E65 would be the better choice as it as the digital iLink connection - however you can hook the E55 up via S-Video which is almost (but not quite) as good.

Whilst both are excellent DVD recorders I should point out that if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players then you need to look at a HDD/DVDR combi. If you just want to edit onto incompatible discs, or you want to use a PC to 'author' your recordings then the E55/E65 are fine choices.

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for further advice on the basics!

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Both are capable. The 65 has DV-in, which is an advantage if your camcorder is a DV one. As this is a digital input the quality should be better than using an AV input (e.g. S-Video), which is how you’d have to do it on the 55.

Mark

4. dbchandler

dbchandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One warning on the e55: I'm having a hard time working with the e55 recording from Sony analog and digi 8 video cams. The video and audio come out fine but the menu comes out anywhere from 10 - 80% black at the bottom after finalizing.
    After much testing and probing around the net, I can't figure out what is up. The e55 is apparently picky about media so most people think this problem is the media but I'm not sure why the menu would be screwed up and not the video if it was the media. I have tried Verbatim DataLife Plus and Princo and had failures (and a few successes) on both. I don't know if the e65 is equally picky about media.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    That certainly sounds like a media problem. The fact is DVDR media is not universally compatible with all DVDR burners. Limit yourself to 1-4x media, good brands (Princo and Datalife are not these!) and find something that works well then stick with it. Online retailers sell trial packs of media for this very reason.