1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 - My Best Investment of 2004!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CHR1S, Dec 21, 2004.

1. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £189 from Empiredirect, I would recommend this machine to anyone looking for a DVD Recorder for around the £200 region.
    I've never really been a Panasonic fan (my most recent purchase was a Sony TRV digital Handycam) however I think Panasonic have really gone to town with all the features on the E55.

It's a sleek and very nice looking machine, aesthetically seems to have exceptional build quality (as far as modern consumer machinery goes), is very easy to use, has more features than any others in it's range, great picture quality and since I purchased with Barclaycard - got an extra 2 years free warranty!

I spent some time browsing and wondering whether to pay a little more for JVC, Pioneer or Sony machines but am very satisfied with the Panasonic and would recommend anybody looking to purchase a DVD recorder give it a try.

I wanted a machine that would record DVD-RW / DVD+RW but I wouldn't let the fact that the Panny only supports DVD-RAM & DVD-R put you off. RAM is just as good as +RW even if it's not as compatible with other players.

Value for money 10 / 10

Chris

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hear Hear..

Jimmy

3. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    This is just what I wanted to hear as I've just ordered one from Comet for £199 online. :thumbsup:

Bad news is that it was meant to be delivered on Monday and there's still no sign!! A few snotty phone calls may be made tomorrow :mad: Anyone else had any trouble ordering from Comet online - or is it just Xmas timescales?

4. StevePn

StevePn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds good deal. Should be getting one January 2005
    Steve
    :hiya:

5. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Comet are absolutely useless. I was in there yesterday to buy some rechareable batteries for digi cam. In the twenty (yes twenty minutes) I was standing at the checkout (I had a good deal, not normally so patient) I heard such "guff" coming from the mouths of the so-called "experts" flogging such obviously garbage products to poor souls who hadn't joined this forum!!

It was hilarious! Especially when they tried to sell a lady an empty box for £139.99!! No bags, till broke, spotty youth dropped a taoster on the check-out girls toe.
    I'm thinking of going back today with a flask and a deckchair, better than the telly!

Anyway. I really hope you get your E55 in time for Christmas. It's fab! I've had mine for a month now, and I've got to tell you it's been a revelation! For this kind of money (mine £178 Dixons online) it has to be the steal of the century.

I took the decision to get region2 only, as I've never had a problem getting a film that I wanted in reg2

Have fun (when it finally gets here) Only thing is, I'm sure we'll hear from you when it arrives, 'cos the manual is useless! I had some great help in setting up on this forum (so if you do a search of threads, you'll find my inane ramblings, and the patient, kind words of Rasczak!)

Regards

Morgs

7. alex.lake

alex.lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the E65 from Richer Sounds (I thought the extra £50 might be worth it if the DV-in gives better quality for transfer from camcorder). I almost went for the E55 (which one can currently get in multi-region pre-hacked form from John Lewis for £199 - including an extra year's warranty). I would be dubious about buying online or from Comet myself.

8. Novice Burner

Novice Burner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I see I'm not the only one having problems with their delivery. I ordered my E55 last week and paid extra to get it delivered yesterday as I had booked the day off work and could be in to take delivery. The invoice stated a delivery time of 7am to 6pm. Surprise surprise, the delivery never turned up. I rang comet just after six, waited ten minutes, only to be told that the van was still on the road and if I waited till 7 or 8 it might be delivered as the item hadn't been scanned in as undelivered. I waited till 8, cancelling a night at the pictures and still no show.

I rang back this morning and asked for the Amtrak number so I could ring them direct, only to be told - Oh we don't have their number! Found Amtrak on the net and rang head office and was given a local depot number, which I must have rang fifty times from work, every time engaged. Rang head office back and was given a fax and email address. I emailed and faxed and still no reply. Rang Comet after six tonight as still not attempted to deliver. They offered to deliver tomorrow, but I HAVE to work and can't guarantee a neighbour being in all day. I suggested delivering to my work address, only to be told that they can't change delivery address. Got comet to fax Amtrak requesting delivery Xmas Eve - really need to work half day, but will take it off. If it doesn't arrive then I will tell them where to stick it!

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get it off my chest, and you can be sure Iwill NEVER buy online from comet again.

Alan

9. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Funny that because when I called Comet this morning they were only to happy to give me the depot number and have me call and waste my own time rather than theirs!! It was engaged for ages, when I eventually got through the guy said that it hadn't been on the delivery list for Mon as my receipt had said, and that it wasn't on todays either. My e-mail confirmation stated Parcel Force not Amtrak so despite Comet telling me it was being delivered by Amtrak, they denied it and said that I had to call Comet back as it was obviously being delivered by Parcel Force. Called them back only to be told no, it was definitely being delivered by Amtrak - they had no clue why the e-mail said Parcel Force! Guess what........ I had to call Amtrak back, this time they gave me a ref to quote. Funnily enough they found the order this time :mad: but couldn't say when it was going to be delivered. They took my mobile number and said they'd call me back. Did they :censored: .

Another wasted day; no delivery and I have to start all over again tomorrow. At least its a present for me so I don't have to let anyone else down as the likelihood of it turning up before Xmas is about the same as me opening my front door to find someone had left a Plasma there as a gesture of goodwill.

Another rant over :smashin:

10. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would seem that Comet's only mistake is to use Amtrak. I don't think they (Amtrak) have ever got a delivery right for me, and I try not to use any online store that use them.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here's a little titbit for all you Comet critics. This came from a member of staff at Comet and I have no reason not to believe him.

He said that in the New Year Comet will start selling items from the store at the SAME PRICE as the do online! This is a bit of a revelation if it's true, as many Online stores also have retail outlets. Richer Sounds already nearly match their online prices but if Comet start, and their online prices are often quite competitive, then I will applaud them heartily. No more awful Comet delivery fiascos - just go and get it yourself!

Having said all that, I got my E55 from Comet for £179 with free delivery that actually arrived one day early! (Their price has recently gone back up to £199)

It is a spanking wee contraption though...

Jimmy

12. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That would be fanstastic - assuming of course they don't up their online prices to much.

13. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well I'm waiting for someone to leave me a plasma next cos Comet only went and delivered the thing today!! Want to set it up straight away - especially seeing as so many people have advised it might take a while :) but I have to go out tonight :(

What a decision....pub or gadget!!

14. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are in the West Yorkshire region then visit Empiredirect in Leeds as they matched their online price for both the Panny E55 and the Sony Handycam! No quibbles..... I just couldn;t be bothered relying on dispatch & delivery snags - even if it means a 20 mile drive actually picking the thing up from a shop and being able to take it back if anything goes wrong is worth the extra hastle.

Incidentally did anybody else see the BBC news this morning about the amount of e-commerce websites that were struggling to meet the demand and in a number of orders in which they wouldn't be able to deliver Christmas orders while February!

Chris

15. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree chris , i have purchased of empire direct previously their prices are hard to beat but i always had a problem with delivery (amtrak) it has only been recently were they let you pick up after 2 days money clearence i picked up from manchester branch well worth the 30 mile round trip .

16. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had problems with Comet and delivery time with my Xbox around 6 months ago.
    I believe it says on their site that if they fail to deliver an item on the date they specify, you are entitled to have delivery costs refunded. I got mine refunded-- the refund isn't much but its the principle, they're bloody useless and since they wasted my time, i thought i'd waste theirs with a refund.
    Got it two days late nevertheless. Wouldnt use them again unless I was desperate.

I hope more online retailers pricematch in their stores. Good news for us consumers.

17. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Earlier in the year, I bought a tv for my sister from Empire. Delivery time quoted was great. An they beat it by two days, then one day, and then delivered again on the due date! Three tv's! Now that's service! Of course i got three invoices, three attempts to sell me cover, then three further attempts.
    This week, I got three reminders that my one years cover was about to end, and would i like to take out extra?

I'm glad i only paid for one of them, otherwise I would be quite annoyed!