1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 + HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alex.lake, Dec 22, 2004.

1. alex.lake

alex.lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone suggested a few days ago that it might be possible to put an HDD into an E55, thus converting it into an E85. This sounds somewhat implausible to me, but is there any basis to this rumour?

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    On cost grounds, it seems extremely unlikely that the E55 would have the IDE controller and the cables for connecting an HDD. The OS may well be basically the same, but it is almost certainly tailored to the E55. The high speed dub to DVD-R setting is missing for example. Also, I think the remote control is different, you would have no button for selecting the drive.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It was my rumour, and I too believe it is not plausible. It does appear that the chassis is the same, but there will be too many other pitfalls for it to be practical.

If someone knows for sure, lets hear from you.

By the way, the rumour emerged from an Empire Direct advert that confidently stated that the 'E55 is Hard Disk Expandable' or words to that effect. Check out Empire ads from the Home Cinema mags from the last couple of months...

Jimmy