1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 for the job?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by videouser, Jan 5, 2005.

1. videouser

videouser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am think of buying a Panasonic E55 as cannot stretch £££ to E85!!!. I normally record onto my PC, edit and burn to DVD-r. I only need the E55 for the timer control and possible ram PC playback for simple editing out ads.
    As the noise of the PC (next room) at night keeps my wife awake!. also with me taping stuff early in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!.

My questions are:
    1. can the E55 record 3 hours to DVD-r like the E85?
    2.Will the Dvd-r play back on our Phillips DVP520 (used as our main player - plays everything so far!)

3. (OK need to buy ram player for the pc) How will I edit the files on my PC will this be in the DVD format- or will I have to convert to MPEG first, edit and then re-encode!.

4. Anything else I should consider?

5. Should I also look at Tosh DR3 or Pioneer 220?

Thanks for your time!.

2. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    just to say JL bluewater have it on offer for £169 at the moment.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The E55 can record upto 8hrs onto a DVD-RAM or DVD-R but obviously as you increase the recording time the quality goes down. The E55 can manage just under 3hrs at full resolution though - similar to the E85.

Never used that specific player but it should do. DVD-R is the most compatible DVDR. If you look at the database entry for your player over at Video Help.com then it seems DVD-R will indeed play without problem - click here.

Have a look at PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM to DVD-R guide for all those questions (a link can also be found in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum). You can edit on your E55, import onto your PC and then author (no re-encoding required!). For DVD-RAM support on your PC all you need is a new DVD-ROM drive (assuming you already have a PC DVD burner).

The E55 is significantly better than both those models as it has component, progressive scan and 2 channel DVD-Audio. That said it's always worth looking at other options: if you feel you want want/need DVD-RW support then the above two are the next best candidates.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC DR M10 has DVD-Everything support...so may be worth a look (no RGB input tho which is a real shame)

5. videouser

videouser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your replies, as an novice can I ask a stupid question??

Its is possible for a PC to read from a -RW disk, edit and burn etc.?????

:confused:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends on the PC drive but most will use -RW

7. videouser

videouser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If my PC can read -RW, will I be able to take those files and edit them, put back on to DVD-R.

What are the limitations of editing with -RW on the PC ? Against the DVD Ram route? and how does that apply to editing - like removing ads etc.

I ask this as if I could push the boat out and afford a Panny e85 I would miss out on recording our daily stuff on -RW (not a real big prob).

I have read that apart from the Panny e85. The other HDD DVD recorders that offer RAM or -RW: Toshiba X32, Pioneer 520, JVC DRM20, Sharp DVHR 300, have flash frames when editing from the HDD.

thanks.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Importing from a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW onto a PC is effectively the same. With the former you need a compatible drive, with the latter you need compatible software (DVD-RW is not support natively by Windows XP). Personally I would choose RAM or RW simply because it doesn't require finalisation and, in my experience, is less prone to 'niggles', e.g. a refusal to finalise. But the bottomline is both will allow you to edit on the set-top, import onto the PC and author to DVD-R.

If you can afford it I would recommend going for the HDD/DVDR combi - and the Panasonic E85 is one of the best at present. If you need DVD-RW support then the Toshiba RDXS32 is the best of those you list.