Panasonic E55 & Datasafe DVDRAM & Pioneer 107

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisconnew, Aug 10, 2004.

1. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm having trouble with some Datasafe DVD-RAM bought from SVP that i've been using in the cartridge in my E55 to record various things off my Tivo, the idea being to then take the RAM disc out of the caddy and copy the contents onto my PC using the Pioneer 107, then using TMPGEnc DVD Author to author a DVD-R with various programs/episodes on it.

I'm not having a lot of luck getting the RAM discs to read in the 107 - the 2 Panasonic RAM discs i got with the recorder work fine ubt so far none of the programs i have recorded (and then deleted :( ) from the Tivo seem to read in the Pioneer 107.

All the discs still play fine in the E55 with no problems, but i don;t seem to be able to read them off onto my PC. Should i be trying another DVDROM drive or should the Pioneer 107 be able to handle it?

I'm using the Multiregion 1.13 firmware in the Pioneer 107, but have downloaded the latest 1.16 version and wonder if that would make any difference?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The Pioneer 107/A07 are very fussy with media types - this has been picked up in a number of reviews. You could try the latest firmware for your drive although I believe the problem persists with the A08/108 so it's unlikely to be fixed. Try cleaning the media - caddied Datasafe disks are not protected with the damage resistant coating found on other brands are so are extremely prone to fingerprints and dust etc. And if that doesn't work you'll need to invest in a DVD-ROM that may have more luck. Some models that offer good DVD-RAM support (although no guarantees for your Datasafes as I never used those disks):
    - LG GDR-8163B
    - Panasonic SR-8589-B (the earlier SR-8588-B also support RAM)
    - Samsung/Toshiba SD-M1912
    - Toshiba SD-M1712 (the earlier SD-M1612 and M1711 also support RAM)

Whatever may I suggest you use good quality brands next time, i.e. Panasonic, Maxell, TDK? The purpose of DVD-RAM is to provide a robust re-writeable storage medium that will last thousands of re-writes - for such use it is worth buying high quality media!

3. 3.6R

3.6R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please, today,what good External DVD Burner which write DVD RAM to work well with my Toshiba Centrino Notebook in USB2.0 or Firewire ?

4. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    oh well. that's not the news i was hoping for. I'm in two minds now about using the Datasafe discs - main thing is for the family to have easy access to recording from the Tivo, and easy ability to edit out the adverts, but i was really hoping for the ability to then keep certain things recorded on RAM by copying it over to DVD-R.

I'll have to get half a dozen discs from somewhere else and see how i get on. Any recommendations as to what to buy and where from?

Feel a bit sheepish now thinking that the Datasafe would be ok.

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Are the DVD-RAM discs you are reading in your A07 version 2.0 or 2.1. Earlier versions of DVD-RAM discs will not work in the A07.

With regards to the A08 it is not released until mid September at the earliest.

Iain

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

While the Pioneer 107 can read DVD-RAM, your operating system may not. You likely need UDF readers in order for Windows to see the contents of the disc. You can try the free InstantRead ones at:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsuppo...id=2&product_id=1154&product_name=&page_id=62

Regards

Philip

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Indeed but it is already out in Australia, Japan and is starting to appear in the US so they are shipping.

I'd agree with you Philip but, unless I'm reading it wrong, he states he has already read two Panasonic DVD-RAMs successfully. Which suggests a media problem. I am assuming what he is saying is the programmes he has deleted from his Tivo were recorded on Datasafe disks.