Panasonic E55 CPRM Issue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nickquest, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nickquest

nickquest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panasonic e55 which is going to be solely used as archiving onto dvd-r discs from sky+. Whilst reading the manual, something called CPRM (Content protection for Recordable Media) was mentioned several times. It says in the handbook that "CPRM is technology used to protect broadcasts that are allowed to be recorded only once. Such broadcasts can be recorded only with CPRM compatible recorders and discs".
    Does anybody know what this means? I have recorded plenty of things off the sky+ box and everything has recorded fine. I had a thought that it might be talking about Sky Box Office / Pay per View programs but i understand that the former are encoded with macrovision anyway so you wouldnt be able to record it. Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

Nick Deeming

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    It doesn't apply to any UK TV broadcasts at this time - thus simply ignore it. The system is used in the US, Japan and elsewhere: the net effect is your limited to VR mode recordings for such content.