Panasonic E55 'changes' my Sky Digital picture feed!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigbaddonkey, Aug 1, 2004.

1. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cough, not happy. Could be my Scart leads, but since buying and installing this machine, my Sky digital picture quality has very slightly more picture noise, and more colour bleed. I have old sony TV with two scarts (1 RGB) , with sky Digital receiver and E55 connected. I've connected it as shown in E55 manual (tv --> E55 --> Sattelite receiver, using old some old scart leads. Are all scart leads RGB?
    Any one else noticed picture degeneration using this machine?
    Thanks, Danny.

2. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Before you start blaming the DVD recorder, you should replace your "old" SCART leads and see if that makes a difference.

Not all SCART leads are RGB compatible. If you can find one with all of its pins connected, then you can guarantee it will do RGB, and thats only if you've turned the option on in the setup of your DMR-E55 and Sky box.

3. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just done some more tests and found out it's not the scart leads. When I connect the scarts from TV to Sky box, there is no flicker at all. I just looked at the trouble shooting guide in the Panasonic manual, and all I can come up with is:-

TELEVISION RECEPTION WORSENS AFTER CONNECTING THIS UNIT.

- This can occur because the signals are being divided between the unit and other equipment. it can be solved by using a signal booster, available from audio-visual suppliers.

Cheeky so and so's. Are they referring to RF socket connections only? Or can you buy signal boosters for 21 pin scart connections?
    Thanks, Danny.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    No you do not need to buy a booster at all - that quote is only refering to the RF signal. The PQ should be indistinguishable from the source after passing through the E55.

1) Check that Sky is set to RGB (Services/System Setup/Picture Settings/'Video Settings': "RGB")

2) Check both AV1 and AV2 are set to RGB in the Functions/Setup menu on your E55 and that AV1/2 are set to 'Normal'.

3) Ensure you are using two fully wired Scart cables (if only one is fully wired the effect will be the same).

4) Ensure you TV is set to RGB input on the relevant Scart.

5. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Iron and Rasczak..
    Rasczak, thanks for that useful info there. I didn't have RGB selected in the first two. Not sure if it made any difference changing them, but I've been chopping and changing the scarts (surprised I haven't had a electric shock) and the picture has improved slightly. This could be the scarts because I got hold of one and moved it around whilst connected, and the picture changes colour, etc.
    I still think there is a very feint snowing effect showing which I'm hoping is the scarts.
    I thiink I'm gong to invest in some decent scarts now and go from there.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Almost certainly is. Invest in some decent scarts to get the most out of your equipment. The QED AV21 range is a good compromise between performance/quality IMHO and will draw the most out of your Sky/E55 recordings:
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2388/v/02df0336-f83e-4077-b1be-82a024fcc878