1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E55 and Sky Plus Connection Connundrums!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidcotton, Jan 19, 2005.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Well after receiving a tip off I managed to get the Panny E55 for £169 from boots (last one in shop as well :) ) however I am struggling to get it connected correctly with Sky plus.

What I want to do is to record from sky plus whilst leaving the tv off.

At the moment I have it set up so I can record from sky plus to the disc drive but only if the tv is left on. The moment that I switch off all it records is a blank screen! Is this correct or have I fouled up the connections?

If some kind soul could please post the CORRECT way to connect it all up then I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

2. Sul

Sul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

Im a long way off being an expert, but i have sky+, pany e55 and hitachi plasma.

I mucked about with every config i could and ended up as follows...

S-Video from sky+ to e55 (gave me a better picture than RGB scart)

Component from e55 to plasma with progressive scan turned off (again give me a better picture and converts the sky+ feed to component)

This way you can record to e55 with tv off, however you need to keep the e55 on to watch sky+ unless you connect the sky+ directly to tv.

Just my laymans findings.

Sul

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you use the sky remote to turn off the tv you turn the sky output from rgb to video and hence record a black screen with sound only. You must never touch the tv button on the sky remote, indeed I disabled it on mine to prevent this happening in error. You need to use the tv remote to turn the tv on and off and change channels. It is safe though to use the sky remote to alter tv volume and mute the sound.
    When you touch the sky button again you get an rgb output again and it will record properly.

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Using scart

Sky+ TV out to E55 AV2
    E55 AV1 to TV AV1

Set Sky+, E55 AV1 and AV2 to RGB.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It depends on what Sky+ you have. My Amstrad does not turn off the RGB when the "TV" button is pressed but merely alters pin 16 to switch the TV to composite. I can quite happily press the "TV" button and my E55 will record RGB correctly. I don't know what the Pace does.

6. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought I would join this thread as I seem to have a similar problem.I recently purchased a Panasonic E55 and,having connected as per the normal configuration detailed in other threads on this forum I find that my TV now decides of it`s own accord to change the screen aspect from 16:9 to PAN and back again!!!.
    I have connected as follows:-

Sky+ >> E55 >> Loewe Planus (AV2 input ).

I have even turned off the automatic switching of the TV aspect ratio on the Loewe in an attempt to stop the problem (which seems to occur every few minutes attempting to "lock" at least twice before reverting to the correct aspect again.

I finally resigned myself to disconnecting the scart between sky and E55 and using the s-video connection instead.This has been successful but, at a price(no RGB).

Does anybody know if this problem has happened before and if so, could they shed some light on this dilemma.
    ps.All scarts are good quality fully wired andg gold plated connectors.
    Thanks in anticipation!! (by the way my first post on this forum)Trev S-J
    :oops:
    Meant to say with regards to SUL post on this thread.

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    A couple of questions... are the connections broadly as in Jems' post above?

Does this only happen when the E55 is switched ON or is there also a problem when viewing Sky+ with E55 in standby.

8. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    johnjackthom-in answer to your question,yes the connections are exactly the same and the problem occurs regardless wether the Panasonic is on or off,that`s why I`m puzzled.The problem disappears if the E55 is taken out of the equation.
    Any ideas?

9. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    When the E55 is taken completely out of the loop you are presumably left with one scart less in use so I would begin to suspect that "spare" scart. It could have a loose wire or bent pin.

10. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have actually employed that particular scart again in between my s- vhs recorder and the Loewe(into AV1)due to it being a more superior scart than the original ,and it seems to be working OK.Or, is that due to it using different paths of it`s wiring "loom" when employed as a s-vhs connection(by the way the s-vhs recorder is not connected to the sky+ any more since the Panasonic came into the loop).I will attempt to use a spare scart cable that was not in the original set-up and see where that gets me in regards to aspect ratio conundrum,thanks for your time,will post a reply when I have attempted this course of action,(in work at this moment ) Trev S-J

Having tried a new scart instead of original,there is no improvement to the jumping to and fro of the screen aspect ratio.I actually read about a similar problem in another forum regards this, they thought it might be something to do with the horizontal black bars at top and bottom of screen and the TV not being able to recognize what format ratio it`s supposed to be in!!